Internode filtering my traffic?

Network gurus, can you tell me what this means? I’m in Tasmania. Internode NBN. Using standard connection, if I go to https://fast.com (connection speed test, one promoted by Netflix, using Safari) I get a zero result - cannot connect to server.

But if I use my VPN (PIA, through the Melbourne server) it loads fine, decent speed.
Does this mean that Internode is blocking my connection to the speed checker?

Since the disaster of the Basslink cable breakage earlier this year I know they had to reroute a lot of traffic through the Telstra cable, and some things were slow then (and I suspect they blocked some types of traffic). But that should all be finished with by now.

In Tasmania, on Internode NBN.

1 Like

Hmmm. Well, it’s not Internode then. It’s a mystery to me. Anyone got any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Not sure if it’s related, but I’ve also found that websites like eBay are loading very slowly when I’m not using the VPN.
I thought VPNs were always supposed to be slower than the standard connection. :confused:

Do you normally use a static IP address?

Do you use DNS cloaking services eg Getflix?

Any weird config in your router/setup?

No, I don’t do anything tricky. But thanks for drawing my attention to the router. I’d already restarted it a few times, but I went back and found there was a software update for it - I’ve applied it and now things seem to be working normally. No idea what went wrong in the first place, but all good now.
Thanks again! :slight_smile:

1 Like