iOS 10.1 beta out with portrait mode

It’s here:

Anyone here tried it and willing to post photos?

Meh… it’s still not depth of field.

1 Like

I actually agree with you on this.

No one’s saying it is — even Phil Schiller says you’ll get a better effect with a Leica and a fast lens. But we’ve never seen anything like this on a phone before, and that’s the cool part. We’re imitating a real depth of field effect — achieved via optics and expensive glass — via some really cool tech that does it all on-the-fly.

3 Likes

Just tried it with the public beta. Very cool effect.

Exactly. It’s a cool feature to have, and sure it doesn’t produce that perfect bokeh effect you’ll get with an SLR, but it’s a great use of the extra camera for depth, and the fact that the rest is done via software is nothing short of impressive.

Nikon D800 vs iPhone 7 Plus

1 Like

In that example the 7+ actually holds up pretty well

John Gruber also posted some images comparing the portrait mode shots vs the straight shots from 7+.

Given it’s a first beta release, I’m actually pretty impressed by the effect given that it’s software-created.

Super impressive for first beta release, has me seriously considering the plus size phone now.
If only I could fit that giant thing in my pocket.

Great article on Portrait mode with some technical info that went above my head.

A couple things, bokeh for bokeh sake is kinda well and truely over-done, when I got my 45 F/1.8 for my Micro Four Thirds kit I played around with bokeh balls for a bit, but it’s not a have/have not thing. Some people abuse it, it’s good in moderation.

This thing Apple is doing is pretty interesting and for the average point and shooter an iPhone 7 is more than enough in terms of camera, but it still doesn’t and wont interest me because I have an interest in actual photography shot with interchangeable lens cameras, playing with different lenses and understanding photography technique.

I understand not everyone bothers with that, I don’t understand when there is so much you can gain from it with your photos, but its like with everything. Some people drive automatic cars because they get no enjoyment out of the process of driving. That’s OK also.

Now the supply and demand of photography says more people are interested in phone cameras now than traditional ILCs and expensive high end compacts but that’s OK also, people are entitled to do whatever it is they enjoy just like the next person is allowed to bemoan them for not understanding better.

Swings and roundabouts.