iOS 10 - The New Shiny

Hey, I use Sleep Tracker too - excellent app - my sleep patterns very similar to your.

I wish mine were like that all the time. I dont get much deep sleep, normally.

I’m not a wearing my Watch while I sleep kind of guy but this may be of interest to some of you:

AutoSleep Turns the Apple Watch Into an Automatic Sleep Tracker - MacStories

That looks like what I need. Seems pretty new, I’ve been continually scanning the watch store for new sleep apps but this has nto shown up yet. Going to download. The biggest issue I have is remembering to switch on a sleep app. I already use heartwatch so this could be the perfect combo. Thank you so much for the headsup!

Well, what a wonderful surprise! This actually works, and it works as well as my fitbits did. Very happy with the outcome, especially with its link to HeartWatch. Thanks @Angus for the headsup on this one, its really appreciated.

Anytime! If someone here smarter than me wanted to make a bit of money, you could try and design a Watch band designed to be comfortable to sleep while wearing.

I dont mind the silicon, but I tend to prefer the milanese loop. Even though it feels heavier in the hand, it seems lighter on the wrist.

I don’t mind the silicon for exercise, but I’m probably it’s least biggest fan for any other wear.

Now we are getting way off topic. Maybe we should have a new thread: “Whats your favourite watch band?” Or similar.

Interesting and good attitude from _David Smith on his sleep tracking app. Guessing sleep bands might be a thing in the future. I’ve napped with my nylon band on, but haven’t slept a full night with it.

https://david-smith.org/blog/2017/01/18/inevitable-sherlocking/

Couple of months later, and an update to Autosleep, I’m here to tell you it works a treat. You can adjust the sensitivity (eg I am VERY restless so I need it to know that, in order to properly interpret my movements) and I have found that generally its pretty accurate. I liked Sleep++, but I love Autosleep.

Autosleep is made by the same dev as Heartwatch, and the two interact nicely, with Heartwatch showing your sleeping as well as waking heartbeats, and any anomalies as well (I have a few every so often).

Heres a screenie. I have to have daytime sleeps and so the clock has the be 24 hours. If you dont need that, 12 hour clock is fine. The screenie is from the “Tweak” screen. The regular screen just shows the dark blue sleep times. It would be nice if there was more detail regarding light and deep sleep, perhaps I’ll email the dev, he’s very receptive to suggestions.

However, that detail is in a graph which is visible on The “Quality” screen. I don’t look at that very often… its depressing.

Sighhhh.

After five months of use, I have decided I hate the iOS 10 mail app and despise the mindset behind it. The threaded discussions are just unusable. Totally unusable.

I had an irate customer ring the other day about an email he had just received being different to the commitments made the previous day. I just knew straight away even before I asked he was reading from an iPhone and looking at a threaded email trail. Sure enough, the email he had gotten upset about was from two years ago about a two year old project, not the current one.

This is not acceptable, an example of pointless fiddling with a system that was working, everyone understood how it worked because it was universal, and it wasn’t broke.

As it is set up in default now, the mail app is unintuitive and hard to use. Accessing email on an iPhone should be quick and so easy to understand you don’t have to think about what you are doing. Ios10 is trying to change how users interact with email threads.

Whoever the wankers were that a) designed the ioS10 mail UI, and b) approved it need to be lined up against a wall to have ridicule and rotten fruit hurled at them.

1 Like

W-hoo! This has been changed back in 10.3. Up arrow for newer mail, down arrow for older. I still didn’t completely get used to the left/right controls.

2 Likes