iPad Price Points?

G’day,

Per other thread/s, a few days ago I purchased my son an iPad Air 2, 32GB Space Grey WiFi for $555 - a whopping $14 off RRP! (Achieved via walking from Target to JB to Myer; bonus $10 of Myer1 points.)

During this shopping trip, I observed something that I could not understand.

iPad Air 2 - RRP $569
iPad Mini 4 - RRP $569

I realise I’ve not been watching iPad prices much lately, but - what the?

Is there some logic here that I’m overlooking? Is the Mini4 in fact better than the Air2?

I know there used to be around $100 difference between the prices… Now Apple is telling us they are worth the same?

Until someone points out the logic I am missing, I’m left assuming that Apple’s margin on the Mini 4 must be HUGE compared to the Air 2 - presumably artificially increasing the Mini’s sell price so as to take out $$ from the equation of which device to purchase??

Someone please kill my illogic bubble. It hurts.

Cheers

cosmic

I think it’s more that the Air 2 has dropped in price as it gets closer to being replaced and the Mini 4 (which isn’t due to be replaced as soon) has maintained it’s pricing.

Either way the Air 2 is good buying at the moment (which is why I bought one for my SO a short while back).

Me? I’d rather stick with my Mini 4 because the form factor suits me better.

The whole iPad lineup makes little sense at the moment, but I think its based on the fact that the Mini 4 is Late 2015, compared to the Air 2 being late 2014 - so while the Air 2 is better than the Mini 4 (in terms of processing etc), it is older thus cheaper.