iPad Pro as your main device - How's it going for you?

I was referring to thin, or minimal hardware. Its ridiculous to have thin/minimal as the only option, especially when its not user upgradable.

I’d like the iOS 10 aesthetic a lot more if they applied it to every app. Like Apple, either do all your apps at once and make us wait another year for a redesign, or don’t do it at all.

Apple News and Maps are gorgeous. Music is a disaster but they can never seem to get an audio app UI right. I swear we’ve had 3 designs since iOS 7.

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Apple Music

Team,

I’m considering getting an iPad Pro for my wife to use as her main tool for uni. She is studying Exercise Science.

I’m thinking the new 10.5in iPad Pro with the Pencil and Keyboard Case.

Any reccomendations for apps that excel at drawings/diagrams & annotations?

I would think Pages or Word would be adequate for report writing. It’s just the diagrams, drawings and inserting of pictures?

Also referencing?

EDIT: I did an Eng degree a 6 years ago, so iPad wasn’t an option especially since I used a lot of LaTeX for equations and maths.

They didn’t show it in detail in the keynote last night but the file management on iOS 11 looks like it might change all that. The dock looked remarkably MacOS like too. Look forward to trying it out later in the year.

Papers. Excellent app for acquiring journal articles. Best in Class. Available for Mac and iOS.

The iOS version is free, no ads and no IAPs
Papers 3 - Academic Reference Manager by mekentosj.com
https://appsto.re/au/bM8XP.i

2 Likes

Yes I agree, iOS 11 is the kick the iPad needs - hopefully they continue with more!

1 Like

Notes Plus is my app for that

Well its been basically a year and a half since i went full iPad Pro and I’m still full iPad Pro only with occassional mac use when desperate. I hope to do a lengthy report soon.

So anyone going to upgrade or make the switch with all the latest news now?

maclab

Yep, hoping to pick up a new 12.9" this week to replace my old iPad Air 1 and MS Surface Pro 3.

I’m about to try this now.
Bought an iPad Pro 10.5 256GB 4G to replace my iPad Mini 4. Last large screened iPad was the iPad 3, so going back to a large screen will really help with this old dog’s eyes (and I’m only in my early thirty’s :frowning: )
Got an Pencil for 15% off, and Affinity for iOS, currently at 30% off.

I’d rather have a 128GB model for less coin, but I guess I’ll use this to store and edit photos.
I’m definitely looking forward to iOS 11.

Where did you get the discount on the pencil?

Myer + eBay’s sitewide 15% off recently

How well does Papers integrate into Word or Pages for iOS in terms of making citations and the reference list?

Its not exactly integration, but you can get a dropdown menu and theres options for copying the reference

Eg: this from one of the example articles
Erren, T. C. (2007). Ten simple rules for doing your best research, according to Hamming. PLoS Computational Biology, 3(10), 1839. http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pcbi.0030213

There’s always Endnotes if its still going, I just got Papers to be able to research some medical stuff. Not writing anything learned, not for the past 25 years.

I’ve justed upgraded to the IOS 11 beta and files is disappointing so far, pretty much glorified icloud. No ability to copy files directly to the iPad.

You can’t AirDrop and then save to Files? (Obviously an Apple only solution, I get that).

Interestingly enough no (or at least not at this point). When I try to airdrop a file, neither my iPhone or iPad (both on IOS11) appear so maybe that’s a limitation of the current OS version of Mac OS, but both have accessibility turned on but don’t appear on my mac.

The other interesting part is the ability to create folders is disabled on the iPad for files. I.e. it looks like they are grouped by App only, and you can connect dropbox etc but you can’t use it like a finder based file system. That means for now, the only way to get documents to files is via icloud which means uploading them to icloud and downloading them on the device (which for 20GB of data would result in 40GB of upload/download. It also doesn’t appear as an app in itunes.

New guy here (long ago a light MacTalk user and (cough) one time heavy MacWorld Australia Forum user. Thought I’d chime in since I’ve just acquired an iPad Pro 10.5" after my MacBook crashed (running again, but flaky).

I used the iPad for a full week as my sole device and have to say I doubt I will ever buy another laptop. That’s not to say I’ll never buy a desktop Mac (Mac Mini if they haven’t killed it off), but as a portable device, the iPad is it for me. In my line of work I interview clients and take hand written notes, which I’ve always used pen and paper for (I could type on a keyboard, but it’s less personal and I see clients at a very vulnerable time). The iPad Pro and Apple Pencil, of course, let’s me write on the screen and being able to view my hand written notes in split screen view while I type the full document in Pages is a real productivity boost. I then speak from those typed notes, so of course, iPad again.

There are two things I haven’t been able to do on the iPad so far that tie me to a Mac - change or create templates and paragraph styles in Pages, and upload podcasts to SquareSpace. Screen size and lack of a mouse also prevent me from giving the Mac the flick. Screen size can never be fixed (although I’ve considered airplaying to a monitor via Apple TV), but the iPad is so close. Really looking forward to iOS 11.

1 Like