iPhone 3GS

Is anyone still actively using an iPhone 3GS with iOS 6.1.6 (the latest it gets to)?

I’m wondering how well (or not) one of these phones works in 2016. I’ve got hold of a couple of old iPhone 3GS’s (16GB and 32GB) and depending on battery life I’m thinking of giving one to my eldest for when he goes out riding his bike. In some respects it’s essentially a pretty dumb phone (by today’s comparison) since plenty of apps just wont run anyone on such an old version of iOS (Pokemon Go for one :stuck_out_tongue: ). Also, a brand new pre-paid something can be bought for under $100 with a shiny new battery and at least semi modern OS (although not iOS).

So what’s the go, any life left in the old girls?

I used one up until ~18 months ago.

Worked fine as it was. Only noticeably missing things after the experience of using a more-recent iPhone.

As in, it’s hard to go back, though ignorance is (somewhat) bliss.

You can get a Telstra ZTE A462 4GX which gets you Telstra’s highest grade of coverage which you care most about for your kids for under $100. You can also get an iPhone 5C which gets a good level of coverage for not much more.

I think thats what you should care about most.

I’ve finally put my old devices away in their boxes. Still in good nick, still working, but really no longer relevant. I think Telstra now sells the 5S as a prepaid for around $400.

I need a 5s for someone, but they want a coloured one and the only ones being sold by anyone seem to be space grey.

I’ll be selling my 5S when I eventually get an SE. Its gold

I was using one of my old 3GSes as a remote control (Rowmote) but the battery just wasn’t holding charge…

I have a white 3GS, I had handed it down to my Mum but have since bought her an SE.

My hat is old
My teeth are gold
I have a bird I like to hold
My shoe is off
My foot is cold.

2 Likes

Nicely composed, hobo :slight_smile:

Nicely recited from a certain Dr S… (:

Ahh… I’ve never had the Dr S pleasure so did not recognise it :slight_smile: