iPhone 7 launch day

I just turned up, lined up at the Telstra store. Was the most chaotic launch day I’ve been to, badly organised by the shopping centre.

Before even going there I was set to get either a 256gb iPhone 7 Jet Black or Black, I had been there since after 3am and managed to get the black, so all in all I’m happy I got what I was after. The goodie bag from Telstra had a battery bank so that was cool.

1 Like

Wandered in to JB HiFi around 10am, nobody else in the store, walked out a few minutes later with new shiny in my choice of colour and capacity - a 128GB 7 in Black.

Joys of living in a more regional area.

2 Likes

I’m really liking the new home button. To be honest I was pretty skeptical (never having use the 12in MB), but it feels exactly the same with the Taptic Engine

Seems like capacitive sensing doesn’t work with gloves…

The home button now goes by the same rules as the screen, but if you’re using ‘touch screen gloves’ it’ll be fine

One more thing that people didn’t think of that you need something else to do.

If you’re using gloves that won’t work on the home button, they won’t work on the screen either, so there is no reason for more outrage.

And there’s no objective reason to launch into a tirade of comments in defense either. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Lol my thoughts exactly :laughing:

You’ll need gloves for your jet black iphone to avoid scratches so all good.

2 Likes

Quite possibly lol, I’m a little glad I got black instead

Yesterday was a bit nuts. I managed to get a 128GB gold Plus reserved for my other half, so that was one trip to Chadstone. My license had expired (I needed 100 points to recontract) so I had to go home and get the renewal slip, so that was a second trip to Chadstone. Then I managed to get a reservation for a 256GB black Plus at Highpoint so we headed over there, only to discover the reservation system was misbehaving and they didn’t have one. They called around and found one at Doncaster, so over there we went.

200km all up, but we got what we wanted in the end.

1 Like

There was an episode of Cortex where CPG Grey bought the very first iPad Pro in the U.K. and the manager of the store tried to do the same thing. CGP Grey being an extreme introvert was like “oh no no no no”.

At least you did get what you want in the end, most people didn’t unfortunately

2 Likes

I wandered out to Doncaster yesterday to pick up a headphone adapter (wanted to test the Square reader using it) and the place was packed. You could barely move.

Tried to get a look at the iPhone 7’s but the table was crowded so gave up.

It’s incredible just how easy it was to get an iPhone on Saturday. I bought online at about 9.30am for pickup at the George St store, then had a 10 minute wait in the small pick-ups queue. The queue for walk-in purchases wasn’t huge, but it was in direct sunlight so I doubt anyone in it was having much fun.
Judging from some of those sales breakdowns from last week, I think the fact that I wanted the silver 7 meant that I wasn’t going to be fighting for it; it was apparently the least popular model of all!

The 7 is a very nice little unit. I’m absolutely loving the haptic feedback stuff; like the way the notifications pane ‘clunks’ down, or how you get a little bump as you move songs up and down the playlist. It’s the little touches that make the phone so nice to use.

4 Likes

FOMO’s pretty much worn off for me.

When the Olympus OMD E-MII gets announced tomorrow however, that’s another story.

Yeh - I’m not even slightly tempted to leave my iPhone SE… I’m looking forward to the iPhone 8/10 whatever they call it with size of SE with 4.7-inch screen… :wink:

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Camera talk