iPhone 7 sales surge as people focus on price not features

Makes for interesting reading and certainly would be my thinking if I was buying a new phone at the moment

Perhaps theres also an element of ā€œhmm, waitā€¦ my existing phone does what I need, why bother upgradingā€

1 Like

Yes I suspect so, I do not see any ā€œmust haveā€ features in any of the new iPhones.

Call me crazy, but this is such a non story.

surveys of carriersā€¦ which means what? there is not one number or stat to back up any of their assertations.

ā€˜iPhone 7ā€™s sales are stronger than they were for the iPhone 6ā€™? Are selling more units? Or is it still keeping a larger % share of sales (when compared to the 8)? The latter being simply explained by people waiting for the X (which we know is happening). Are fewer units selling overall? probably for the moment given the X.

This just feels like a great headline to rile up the iPhone haters (and lovers) in one quick motion! (and itā€™s working :stuck_out_tongue: )

Eventually, the market reaches saturation and that coupled with the fact that phones are getting pretty damn good so the need to upgrade is reduced. Hell, I considered keeping my iPhone 6 Plus (not for long) given the 8 really doesnā€™t offer that much more (besides being waaay faster, better touch ID and Cameraā€¦ who am I kidding itā€™s great!).

But yes, the iPhone is getting bloody expensive and Iā€™m sure people may be tempted to buy into the old model, but really there isnā€™t much in it.

On Telstraā€™s ā€˜Lā€™ plan the difference is $8 / month between an iPhone 7 128GB and an iPhone 8 256GB.

On Optus they still list the 256GB iPhone 7 so itā€™s more of a direct comparison with a gap of only $6 / month more for the 8 (on the 7GB Plan). Assuming they really only have the 128GB version that gap widens to $16 / month for the 8 making the 7 a lot more attractive to those on a budget, especially those who donā€™t want to break the $100 / month barrier (and still get something approaching a useable data allowance in 2017).

I think Apple were very smart to stop reporting numbers last yearā€¦ just as that curve starts to flatten out :smiley:

The outright price difference between the 7 and the 8 is substantial though.

1 Like

Granted, but they were talking about carriers in this instance.

Just checking things out and I was also wonder why is there still the SE, 6S and 7 (along side the 8 and X)ā€¦ thatā€™s a lot of different models to be still making for sale.

An increasing number of people are using SiM only plans (I do) and that makes the outright purchase cost more important than in the past.

Iā€™m on a $35/month Sim Only plan at the moment, with an out of contract 5S. I was looking at upgrading to the 6S, but may skip it for a 7 when the opportunity presentsā€¦

I feel like Apple have shot themselves in the foot with the 8 & X iPhones. Both are expensive, but the X especially so. If you simply canā€™t afford the X and its - err - amazing new features, then you could easily choose to ignore the 8 as well, and opt for the lower phones - if an iPhone at all.

And, as for keeping all the old gen phones available?? Ok - contradicting myself within the space of a sentence, but - keeping all those product lines open surely just muddies the waters. Performa, Centris, anyone?

The red dotted line circa 1999 was when Steve returnedā€¦ when the massive product line-up was slashed to just a few models.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but - during Jobā€™s time, when Apple would introduce a new iPhone, wasnā€™t the old model then phased out straight away, leaving little option than the new model? Then Jobs died in 2011ā€¦ and soon after we had the arrival of multiple options with the 5Cā€¦ then 6 and 6Plusā€¦ 5SEā€¦ etc etcā€¦ Muddyā€¦

3 Likes

Until the 5C I thought it was a case of current generation model (in a range of storage capacities) + low end storage config of the last gen as the ā€œcheapā€ model. Simple as that.

No - Jobs started keeping the old model around. The 3G was kept alongside the 4, the 3GS alongside the 4. With the 4S they moved to keeping the last two models, which happened up until the 5C (which was essentially the same thing as it was just a repackaged 5). The SE was actually a move towards simplifying things but this year keeping the 6S and 7 is a bit crazy. I would suggest either the 6S or 7 should have gone. IMHO the 6S and 7 should have gone and the 8 should have been a lot cheaper.

And yet I can still see a massive demand for the iPhone X at launch.

So are the old models pushing up the price points for the new productsā€¦ or are the new phones that much more expensive, they felt the need to keep the lower point products on the marketā€¦?

The new phones are more expensive. I think thatā€™s why th 6S is still around.

Massive in comparison to what?

The number of sales of the 8 is way higher than the X (and the 7 is outselling the 8).

Sure there are a lot of people wanting an X but I strongly suspect that in comparison to the number of 7 and 8 buyers theyā€™re in the minority.

1 Like

Of course iPhone sales for 8 are higher than X. X isnā€™t for sale yet.

What I was trying to say is, the initial demand for X will be bigger than 8. A lot of people have said theyā€™re waiting for the X. More than the 8.

A lot of people on Apple fan web sites like here?

That isnā€™t a good indication of future sales because itā€™s a skewed demographic.

Hmmm but I guess thatā€™s just lies from Apple?

Absolutely. I canā€™t afford to upgrade from my 6S, and TBH I donā€™t really want to. Iā€™ve never really got used to the size. Iā€™m actually tossing up about whether to get an SE or wait to see if it gets a speed bump next year. I still use my 5S for a lot of stuff, but not phone or apple pay (obviously, since it cant do that)

It depends upon what the original sales chart suggested sales would be, I donā€™t think there is any surprise that the X sold out because supply was so limited (like with the air pods).

The real question is when sales are final and the iPhone 9 comes out did the X outsell the 8 or the 7 or didnā€™t it?

Iā€™m betting it wonā€™t (oh and no not lies, just marketing spin).

Selling out isnā€™t a good indication of demand.