iPhone 7 sales surge as people focus on price not features

So what is?

Sales numbers. Apple could make 100 iPhone Xā€™s available for preorder and sell them out, that doesnā€™t represent demand.

3 Likes

The really fun part of my job right now is advising my boss how much more product she could have sold if only she had ordered it when I said to, rather than 3 months later when stock is depletedā€¦

Yes, selling out is a supply issue, not demand indication.

1 Like

From the most recent earnings results from Apple. This is Tim Cook, quoted here:

iPhone sales exceeded our expectations. In the last week and a half of September, we began shipping iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus to customers in more than 50 countries. They instantly became our two most popular iPhone models, and have been every week since then.

Given that Cook would lose his job and possibly go to prison if he knowingly lied on a conference call like this, Iā€™m comfortable in trusting that he is telling the truth.

Morals of the story, in my view, are that one should always be on guard against confirmation bias and that anecdotes ā‰  data.

Iā€™m sure heā€™s talking about current iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus sales levels and Iā€™m sure theyā€™re higher than the 7 is (as heā€™s now said).

But it leaves open the question of how high iPhone 8/8s sales are compared to what 7 sales where when the 7 was released as distinct from what it is selling now.

But given Appleā€™s reluctance to divulge this informationā€¦

Yeah, I would be surprised if the 8 was selling as many as the 7 did at release, but the 7 wasnā€™t released in the shadow of another phone either. The 8 is obviously doing very well.

Half my working life at the moment is sales stats, and I can assure you that Cook could say that the moon was in fact made out of cheese if he truly desired, and do so with impunity from some kind of ā€œfactualā€ report.

Iā€™m not saying that the 8 isnā€™t performing, Iā€™m just saying the only part of the above that is true is that Cook would lose his job if he stood up and said ā€œBuggerā€¦ itā€™s not selling.ā€

I still think thereā€™s too many iPhones on the market at this point in time, which will be diluting sales of the new model/s.

2 Likes