iPhone 8 Discussion

This crossed my feed this afternoon and I couldn’t help but share it.

But really, it’s coming to that time where we all start talking about what we want, what we don’t want and if we are buying the new one.

Personally, I’ve had every iPhone up until the 6 Plus then sort of just stopped upgrading but this year I’m hanging out for a new phone. I’d like a home button since it’s what I know, but the lack of home button probably won’t stop me buying the new hotness in September (or whenever). Probably aiming for a 128GB model again, plus size of course, black of some sort… probably going to live in a case. It will be weird not having a headphone jack and I’ll likely use the adaptor until I lose the first one… then maybe upgrade to Bluetooth :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally I don’t like the “leaked” pictures of the iPhone 8 that I’ve seen, looks far too much like a generic Android phone and doesn’t have anything unique or differentiating to identify it as an Apple device.

Apple have always been about having that certain ‘x factor’ differentiate their devices and so far I’m just not seeing that.

2 Likes

I tend to upgrade my phone every second product cycle, opting for the “s” version. Guess it depends what features the 8 offers over the 7s+ and what the price gap is as to which one I will get.

1 Like

I doubt that I will be upgrading at all, ever again. As the prices continue to soar into the stratosphere and my pension doesn’t get any bigger, I realise I am pretty much on my last Apple legs. Sighhh,

1 Like

I’ll be getting one - it’s the one device that I use the most often.

I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far with “leaks” so looking forward to it.

3 Likes

I’ve been on a 2 year upgrade cycle since the iPhone 4 (so 5 and then 6).

Was due to upgrade to the 7 but was unimpressed with what was on offer. No new features to talk of, and it seemed like only a spec bump. Decided to wait another year and will be buying one of whatever is released this year.

Current phone is really showing it’s age - battery life, apps are slow to open, etc, so an upgrade will be most welcome.

2 Likes

I am very happy with my 7. I happened to upgrade from an 6S this cycle for various reasons, and my sone has the 6S. The 7 is definitely a better phone, up not dramatically so.
So I won’t be getting an 8 for me.
Mrs Entropy is still on a 6 plus. She can hand down her phone to bigger Miss Entropy and get a new one this year. So it might be a 8, might be a 7S plus.

Anyhow, exciting times and stage in the Apple Product Cycle. At this stage the 8 will do everything except walk your dog, a true Jesus phone. It is always sad in a way when the next stage of the cycle arrives, the announcement happens and reality bites.

1 Like

I’m the same. I use the device the most so I upgrade yearly. Don’t use an iPad and don’t use a portable anymore. So if I can’t do it on my phone I switch to my desktop. Actually find I can pretty much do everything from the phone now.

1 Like

I will be upgrading. I have an extensive hand me down process in place so I upgrade each year.

I still want physical Touch ID though. Not sure I like the facial recognition unlock rumours.

1 Like

It’s gotten to the point where the monthly phone payment for a new high end iPhone is more expensive than my home internet and telephone.

Telstra (who are far from the cheapest home ISP) only charge $99 for their 1000Gb/Roko bundle and and the cheapest Telstra iPhone 7+ plan (and it’s only the 32Gb phone and only comes with 1GB of data) is $100. The 8 is only going to be more expensive again!

There are rumors that the iPhone SE will be replaced soon, I’ll wait and see what happens with that.

1 Like

Me too. I just cant afford to keep upgrading, its getting ridiculous. Mind you I didnt baulk for a second, to pay over $1k for my 32GB 3GS when that was released. Its just that back then, I was a worker, and now, I am on an age pension and that goes nowhere. Priorities, etc.

1 Like

If you want to be on Telstra you are better off buying outright and PAYG. Much better deals.

1 Like

I’m still on 6s at jailbroken iOS 9.0.2. Everything works as it should, works as I want it to with my various modifications. I’ve no interest at all in replacing it until it actually dies or apps will no longer update or work. As far as phone specs go, I don’t need anything more powerful. If anything, I’d be a lot more likely to try to find a 7 or 7 plus on a jailbreakable iOS. Otherwise, after almost ten years of iPhones (3G, 4 white, 4 black, 5C, and 6S) I’m considering making the jump to a Galaxy S8 or Essential android phone. I’m very particular about having certain features, and they’re not available on jailed iOS.

1 Like

I’m definitely getting an iPhone 8. On a 6 Plus now.

1 Like

I am most likely going to grab the iPhone Pro (I still think it’s more likely to be branded Pro than 8) however, if it’s a significant delay in availability, or stupidly overpriced for not much difference in specs (other than the display) then I will just grab a 7S instead.

My 6 Plus has been great but I think I’m interested in a slightly smaller device this time.

1 Like

Reading this mornings news talking about the lack of home button, something I hadn’t really thought about in any detail. In many respects, I just thought that it would be embedded under the screen rather than a whole new paradigm in control…

Assuming we get an iPhone and an iPhone Pro, will they both be similar form factors or will the iPhone version include a home button and be similar to what we currently know and love with only the iPhone Pro being this new home button-less design?
If that is the case, the next logical step could be that Apple releases an iPhone 7S with minor revisions as the main stream next gen product with only the new (and no doubt bloody expensive) Pro model getting all the new hotness. Given that a simple form factor difference probably isn’t enough, do they “hobble” the iPhone 7S and not upgrade the CPU (tweak to an A10X with more RAM as standard maybe?) in that model to provide greater differentiation between the two models giving the iPhone Pro a new A11??

I have to say that every day my iPhone 6 Plus is feeling slower and slower. It’s probably all in my head but the desire for a new device is definitely building :smiley:

I don’t doubt that it is getting slower and strongly suspect that Apple make changes to ensure that this is the case - planned obsolescence seems to be the norm with all of Apple’s products in my experience.

2 Likes

I hope they keep the home button on an updated SE. The 6/7/8 are too large.

2 Likes

I remember giving the brother in law shit for his Galaxy Note back in the day, but damn I love the iPhone Plus form factor!

I really think this will be a keynote to watch. There is a LOT of communication Apple have to do about such big changes if they come to pass. So I’m keen to hear their version of the tale. I’ll probably upgrade if the screen really is bigger than the 7+ in a smaller body.

1 Like