iPhone 8 Discussion

Me too. I just cant afford to keep upgrading, its getting ridiculous. Mind you I didnt baulk for a second, to pay over $1k for my 32GB 3GS when that was released. Its just that back then, I was a worker, and now, I am on an age pension and that goes nowhere. Priorities, etc.

1 Like

If you want to be on Telstra you are better off buying outright and PAYG. Much better deals.

1 Like

I’m still on 6s at jailbroken iOS 9.0.2. Everything works as it should, works as I want it to with my various modifications. I’ve no interest at all in replacing it until it actually dies or apps will no longer update or work. As far as phone specs go, I don’t need anything more powerful. If anything, I’d be a lot more likely to try to find a 7 or 7 plus on a jailbreakable iOS. Otherwise, after almost ten years of iPhones (3G, 4 white, 4 black, 5C, and 6S) I’m considering making the jump to a Galaxy S8 or Essential android phone. I’m very particular about having certain features, and they’re not available on jailed iOS.

1 Like

I’m definitely getting an iPhone 8. On a 6 Plus now.

1 Like

I am most likely going to grab the iPhone Pro (I still think it’s more likely to be branded Pro than 8) however, if it’s a significant delay in availability, or stupidly overpriced for not much difference in specs (other than the display) then I will just grab a 7S instead.

My 6 Plus has been great but I think I’m interested in a slightly smaller device this time.

1 Like

Reading this mornings news talking about the lack of home button, something I hadn’t really thought about in any detail. In many respects, I just thought that it would be embedded under the screen rather than a whole new paradigm in control…

Assuming we get an iPhone and an iPhone Pro, will they both be similar form factors or will the iPhone version include a home button and be similar to what we currently know and love with only the iPhone Pro being this new home button-less design?
If that is the case, the next logical step could be that Apple releases an iPhone 7S with minor revisions as the main stream next gen product with only the new (and no doubt bloody expensive) Pro model getting all the new hotness. Given that a simple form factor difference probably isn’t enough, do they “hobble” the iPhone 7S and not upgrade the CPU (tweak to an A10X with more RAM as standard maybe?) in that model to provide greater differentiation between the two models giving the iPhone Pro a new A11??

I have to say that every day my iPhone 6 Plus is feeling slower and slower. It’s probably all in my head but the desire for a new device is definitely building :smiley:

I don’t doubt that it is getting slower and strongly suspect that Apple make changes to ensure that this is the case - planned obsolescence seems to be the norm with all of Apple’s products in my experience.

2 Likes

I hope they keep the home button on an updated SE. The 6/7/8 are too large.

2 Likes

I remember giving the brother in law shit for his Galaxy Note back in the day, but damn I love the iPhone Plus form factor!

I really think this will be a keynote to watch. There is a LOT of communication Apple have to do about such big changes if they come to pass. So I’m keen to hear their version of the tale. I’ll probably upgrade if the screen really is bigger than the 7+ in a smaller body.

1 Like

I’m going to be so broke this year. New phone, 4K ATV, Homepod…

4 Likes

Don’t forget new Apple Watch too… :wink:

1 Like

Don’t forget the iMac Pro too… although that’s already out…

For me, it’ll be the new iPhone, Watch, ATV, Homepod - yes that’s quite a bit of money…

1 Like

Nah… iMacs aren’t for me. Although next years Mac Pro w/ 8K display could be expensive…

1 Like

Ow, my wallet

1 Like

And the event has just been announced for Sept 12th (13th in real time). Not far off!

1 Like

I don’t think I’m getting the iPhone 8 this year, but might look for a 2nd hand iPhone 7 instead if the price is right. I’m excited what the new phones have to offer though!

I have started volunteering full time at night/over the weekend for a wildlife organisation (need to tend to injured & possibly dead wildlife, transfer them to vets/shelters) and needed a bigger phone for my GPS navigation, iPhone SE just don’t cut it anymore LOL. Can’t afford to spend more on a new phone as fuel & car maintenance is so expensive :frowning:

2 Likes

Been staying a generation or two behind for the last 6 years since I got pensioned off. Just can’t afford to update even every two years. I’m still content with my 6S and will likely stay with it for the forseeable future. I wanted an SE but lately my eyes have not been happy with looking at my 5S screen so I think the small screen days are behind me. I may get a 7S when the 8S is released. I’ve tended to stay with the S versions, in any case.

1 Like

Can’t afford to update every year and see no need to, there has been nothing released since the iPhone 6 that makes me think I “must have” a new phone and from all the leaks I see nothing of appeal in the iPhone 8 - especially at the rediclous costs that are rumoured - $2000 (NZ) for a phone is just plain stupid!

2 Likes

Having survived last year’s announcement without breaking sweat, my trusty iPhone 6 has suddenly become noticeably slower to react over the last month or so. I think he knows that unless the 8 is ridiculously more expensive than I’m expecting he’ll be relegated to Foreign SIM iPhone and his older brother the iPhone 5 currently serving as Foreign SIM iPhone will be put in the drawer with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3G.

1 Like