iPhone 8 Discussion

I’m going to be so broke this year. New phone, 4K ATV, Homepod…

4 Likes

Don’t forget new Apple Watch too… :wink:

1 Like

Don’t forget the iMac Pro too… although that’s already out…

For me, it’ll be the new iPhone, Watch, ATV, Homepod - yes that’s quite a bit of money…

1 Like

Nah… iMacs aren’t for me. Although next years Mac Pro w/ 8K display could be expensive…

1 Like

Ow, my wallet

1 Like

And the event has just been announced for Sept 12th (13th in real time). Not far off!

1 Like

I don’t think I’m getting the iPhone 8 this year, but might look for a 2nd hand iPhone 7 instead if the price is right. I’m excited what the new phones have to offer though!

I have started volunteering full time at night/over the weekend for a wildlife organisation (need to tend to injured & possibly dead wildlife, transfer them to vets/shelters) and needed a bigger phone for my GPS navigation, iPhone SE just don’t cut it anymore LOL. Can’t afford to spend more on a new phone as fuel & car maintenance is so expensive :frowning:

2 Likes

Been staying a generation or two behind for the last 6 years since I got pensioned off. Just can’t afford to update even every two years. I’m still content with my 6S and will likely stay with it for the forseeable future. I wanted an SE but lately my eyes have not been happy with looking at my 5S screen so I think the small screen days are behind me. I may get a 7S when the 8S is released. I’ve tended to stay with the S versions, in any case.

1 Like

Can’t afford to update every year and see no need to, there has been nothing released since the iPhone 6 that makes me think I “must have” a new phone and from all the leaks I see nothing of appeal in the iPhone 8 - especially at the rediclous costs that are rumoured - $2000 (NZ) for a phone is just plain stupid!

2 Likes

Having survived last year’s announcement without breaking sweat, my trusty iPhone 6 has suddenly become noticeably slower to react over the last month or so. I think he knows that unless the 8 is ridiculously more expensive than I’m expecting he’ll be relegated to Foreign SIM iPhone and his older brother the iPhone 5 currently serving as Foreign SIM iPhone will be put in the drawer with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3G.

1 Like

I’m still on a 6S. I would have been on a 6 except I was offered a deal on the 6S that was too good to pass up. I’ve had that phone for just over a year and it still works beautifully. I really should not even think of buying a new one as it’s just a waste of money. My partner however is still on a 6 Plus and it’s definitely showing it’s age so it’s definitely time for him to upgrade, he’s hanging out. We are however worried that the iphone 8 is going to be insanely expensive (eg, more expensive than any other model prior). We would only buy outright. My days of phone contracts are over as I doubt there’s any offer out there which can’t be beaten by buying outright and going on some Month by month plan, particularly the way Telco’s seem to just throw Gigs and gigs of data at you.

BTW the release of iphone 8 means that iphone 7 is the first cycle I have ever missed out on.

1 Like

There was a time that they had fantastic deals. I got my iPhone 4 for $10/month on top of the plan for 24 months, back in the days when the plans cost the same and had the same data/inclusions with a phone or without. I think you’re right though, these days it seems to be cheaper to buy outright if you can afford it upfront.

Ahhhh, the good old days when phones were actually subsidised! These days you’re lucky to break even on new release phones… hell I’ve seen some go for more than retail.

On one hand I suppose that it’s an interest free loan that can be accessed by just about anyone which is great for the masses. But then the plans tend to not be as good as what you can get for SIM only (which is the real shame). I’d love to see an option where you could simply get a SIM only plan and add on a mobile for 24 months with 1/24th payment each month (of the retail cost). At least it would be more transparent rather than the confusopoly that the carriers offer today.

Telstra is still trying, iPhone 8 plans:

2 Likes

Very bloody trying.

I just checked out the Telstra and Optus plans for an iPhone 7 Plus 128GB (which is the sort of spec I’ll be looking at) and it’s not really pretty. At least Optus is sub $100 with 13GB data… hopefully something like that will exist next week with the new handsets… but then I suppose that Apple will play a large part when they release pricing information.

I’m currently on a $40 SIM only plan (and have been for years) after buying the last few phones outright so anything that bundles a handset it going to be a massive increase in monthly cost, although it also means I don’t have to find $1,500 right now. Ideally I’d also get a few $$ off the RRP of the phone over time, although once you factor in that bundled plans tend to have crappier allowances than BYO phone plans it’s not a straight comparison. :frowning:

my 6 Plus has become very slow - though I decided a few months ago to do a clean install of everything on it. When I did a fresh install of iOS 10 it was heaps faster, interesting as I installed apps back on to it, it seems the social media apps caused it to start slowing down again. The battery life is also painful, it runs out so quickly now. So yep thinking it might have to be retired in a few weeks.

Actually it’s unheard of for me to let 2 generations of phones go by without an upgrade!

1 Like

Anyone want to guess how much the iPhone 8 will cost outright here in Aus? I’m fearful it will be ridiculously expensive. I reckon the 256gb will be $1599 with the 512gb at $1799. What do you guys think?

1 Like

I was only thinking the other day that this has been the longest period that I’ve had the same phone since I got my first 21 years ago.

1 Like

I’ve heard it will be pricey but I have a feeling it may be exaggerated, but I get mine on upgrade every twelve months so the total price won’t be as big of a deal for me

2 Likes