iPhone 8 Discussion

I’m hoping to sell my 7 Plus for about $900, so that should also ease the upgrade cost. Still it’s a lot of cash on a phone. I wish Apple would release so many products at the same time. I want to upgrade my Series 0 original Apple Watch too.

If possible, sell it now. You’ll quite likely get more for it than after the announcement, when the market will be flooded with second hand devices. If I do get an 8, I’ll likely give my 6S to my Dad and sell my old 6 which he is currently using.

I wish I could sell it beforehand - but I use it everyday!

The market may be flooded, but you’ll also have heaps of buyers willing to purchase a secondhand 7 :slight_smile:

That’s just getting ridiculous. I know phones are getting more and more powerful, but that’s full on laptop money right there… and not even cheaper PC laptops, the MacBook Air starts at $1,499. Hell, even the 13" MacBook Pro starts at $1,899. That really is getting waaaay too close for comfort. While Apple products have never been cheap, they have at least been somewhat affordable… The Apple of late is becoming more and more of a niche product for the well off.

Now I’m going into total fantasy land now, but at that price, I want more from my phone. Given phones are getting more and more powerful and gaining more and more storage (they really are rivalling laptops in both regards) it would be awesome if your phone was able to act as your desktop.

Theoretically, it has the power to run OSX. Imagine if the iPhone Pro worked as a phone like right now, but when “docked” it allowed you to boot into OSX and do your real work. Power can be supplied by the dock, an external screen, keyboard and mouse could be used and life could be grand. It reduces syncing (since it’s all in one place) and allows for greater productivity. A laptop shell that you could dock the phone into would give portable people that option too.

Now this concept isn’t new, it’s been done or considered a few times in the past, for example:

It’s never taken off but then it’s never had a company like Apple behind it. I also understand that they would rather sell you a phone, iPad and MacBook than an all in one device… but I can dream. :smiley:

The prices in Australia are getting nuts. It’s always been an issue but Apple should rethink Australian prices. A lower price point might gain them more market share. Maybe.

Mind you I don’t buy iPads or portables anymore. Just a desktop and an iPhone so I don’t mind paying a bit more each time.

I currently have an iPad Mini, a MacBook Pro (previous generation) plus an iPhone 6S+.

At the moment I can buy a new iPad 128Gb wifi $549 and an iPhone 7 128gb from Kogan for $989 and that way I can update 2 of my devices rather than only 1 and I suspect I’ll be paying no more than if I bought an iPhone 8 by itself.

I don’t want the plus version of the phone because it won’t fit in the phone compartment on my Harley and my eyesight is having trouble using Zinio to read magazines on the smaller iPad mini screen.

The only question is do I buy now or do I wait until after the 8 is released?

Should I expect prices of new stock iPhone 7 to drop any more?

The cheapest i can find (AU local stock) for iPhone 7 256GB is $1100 brand new.

That is a good price, can you tell me the shop please?

edit

With some assistance from julee I have now ordered a 256Gb iPhone 7.

It won’t be the latest but at least I’m not falling further behind the curve and the extra storage over my 6S+ can’t hurt either (IMO one can never have too much).

Fairly confident this will fit, ordered it end of July. Since they were only $1 each I ordered some extras, figure I can give them out to some of the other people as crazy as me to be lining up in the early hours for the iPhone launch

2 Likes

Pretty much confirmed now, it will be called iPhone X alongside iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus

I still think that a phone that costs more than a computer is a ludicrous thing, no phone is actually worth that much money.

1 Like

Totally in agreement. I’ll be switching to Android if this continues this far past the $1000 range, even if I was happy with the new iOS features.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I’m expressing my own that I don’t feel the same way.
I use my phone for about 90% of my tech needs and I’m guessing I’ll have it for 2-3 years.
At 2 years if it costs $1500, that’s around $2 per day (repaid with about 5 minutes of work) for something that I get a lot more than 5 minutes per day of use, value and enjoyment from. I feel like that’s pretty good value for money.

1 Like

Everyone has a different usage pattern.

I use my iPad Mini 4 much more than I use my phone (probably about 4 times as long each day) and I also use my laptop (currently a Macbook Pro 2015) more than my phone.

I want an iPhone because my other devices are part of the Apple ecosystem and the user experience is much more seamless when all the devices are of the one type.

I would have been happy with an update iPhone SE but the SE still has that silly too small form factor and the onscreen keyboard is too small for me to txt quickly and the font is too small to read easily (and if I make it bigger the screen doesn’t show enough words to read quickly) but I need to update because my 6S+ doesn’t fit into my motorbike phone compartment in the dash of the Harley. I’ve been holding off because I didn’t want to commit over the $1000 mark to a new phone (and the 32Gb versions are silly… I can’t even get my basic apps in that space).

But the prices are only going to go higher and slightly over $1000 for a 256Gb iPhone 7 is better than $1500 for an iPhone 8 (or whatever they end up costing (and given the price of the Note 8 I think that’s ballpark).

I’m actually thinking about buying an iPad Pro to replace my Mini simply because the iPad is becoming my most used device and not updating my laptop.

But YMMV :slight_smile:

Definitely. I reach for the iPhone ahead of the iPad most of the time. MacBook Air I use pretty much only when I can’t do a task in iOS or a full keyboard is called for.

1. MacBook Pro
  2. iPhone
  3. Mac Pro

In that order. Mostly I use my iPhone only when on the move or somewhere where it is not convenient to use my MBP. If I am at home and just lounging, it’s MBP. If I am trying to do serious work, it’s MBP (except for video). At the office too, it’s iPhone for tethering, but I am on the MBP.

Frankly, I just don’t need to upgrade. Maybe the 8S or whatever it is next. Or maybe a used 8 next year…

I’m just here waiting for the SE II, though not really as I’ll hang onto my SE for a while.

I suspect that the SEII will lose the current form factor.

I think I’ll end up getting the 8 when it’s out. I haven’t bought an iPhone or Mac for myself in over 10 years, work has always provided them for me every couple of years. I got the 7+ about 6 months ago so I’ll miss out on a work upgrade for another couple of years so I might give them back this one and get the 8 for myself. I think one device outlay in a decade is pretty good :slight_smile:

iPhone 8, 8 Plus or X?

The X is looking good.

My wife and I will be upgrading.