iPhone 8 Discussion

Whichever is the new device with full screen display.

As long as it has a home button and isn’t physically larger than the current one.

A lot of people think they’ll reuse a version of the 6S+ hardware which makes the hardware home button a pretty sure thing. They jury is still out on whether they’ll update the shell/size or not.

Truth be told I’d be fine if they put the insides of the iPhone 8 inside the current shell, its perfect as it is, would be fine with a shell update, as long as it didn’t get any thinner or larger.

But Apple is all about making in thinner - it seems to be their main goal these days

1 Like

The SE has generally used the insides of the previous generation so I’d be expecting iPhone 7 derived hardware (if apple release an update).

Except for the watch… the one device that would benefit from it. :joy:

Generally? There’s only ever been one SE model outside a slight capacity bump. :slight_smile:

The SE shipped with a hybrid of the guts of a current at the time iPhone 6S (back camera, processor) and and iPhone 6 (Touch ID, front camera). I think it’s a fair bet that if they do release another SE it’ll have the processor / camera from the iPhone 8. and maybe the Touch ID from the iPhone 7 (i.e. non moving home button).

That said, I’m not convinced they will actually release another SE, at least not for a while if ever. Perhaps for the iPhone 9 they will have a new small form factor phone altogether. Calling the iPhone SE the SE indicates to me it’s a special one off. I think they were caught off guard at how many ppl want a small / cheap iPhone, and so they decided to throw it together from the parts bin. :joy: When they released the SE even back then I reckon it was too late to add a small form factor iPhone 7/8.

OK… so maybe generally was a stretch :slight_smile:

But both ‘versions’ have used previous generation hardware and I wouldn’t expect that to alter.

It’s pretty big in developing markets like India apparently. It’s the model they decided to make there so they could get around the import tariffs. I also know quite a few people who don’t update very often and who have been buying SEs because they don’t want big phones or to spend big $$. I wouldn’t write it off just yet.

1 Like

Neither would I, but just because it’s not going to stop production doesn’t mean it’s going to be updated either.

They used the most current iPhone processor/GPU in March 2016 which was the 6S, so I expect if there is to be an SE II, to have a march 2018 release and have what would then be 6 month old hardware, the iPhone 8 processor.

1 Like

Ok so the flagship is called the iPhone X (10). What happens in 2 years when the standard iPhone gets to version 10?

iPhone X 64GB $1579 256GB $1829

iPhone 8 64GB $1079 256GB $1329

iPhone 8+ 64GB $1229 256GB $1479

The X isn’t worth the extra cost. One way to limit demand in line with supply I guess.
No new release iPhone below $1000. It is getting ridiculous.

2 Likes

AUD pricing for everything announced:

iPhone X
64gb - $1579
256gb - $1829

iPhone 8
64gb - $1079
256gb - $1329

iPhone 8 Plus
64gb - $1229
256gb - $1479

Apple Watch series 3
38mm GPS - $459
38mm GPS+LTE - $559
42mm GPS - $499
42mm GPS+LTE - $599

AppleTV 4k
32gb - $249
64gb - $279

It is… but I keep remembering that I paid well over $1000 for my 3GS so… maybe its in line with inflation and all that.

I looked at the comparison thingy on the apple site and note that the X is both smaller and lighter than the 8Plus in spite of having a larger screen area. I can’t say I am disappointed at the loss of the “chin”. Its actually not much larger than my 6S, though its 30gms heavier. All that glass.

Telstra and Optus will no doubt charge a fee to have LTE on your Watch too. Early reports from the US say their carriers are charging $10/mth extra.

+$250 for capacity is a bit sad, I’m very happy with 128GB never seeing the “full” message I used to with 64gb, but I also suppose it’s about in line with the later capacity models (price wise).

I’ll have to have a proper read later on why the X is better before I decide on the x vs the 8 plus

The prices are actually slightly lower than I expected but even the smaller 8 is outside my budget. At least I know I made a budget appropriate choice with the 7 and saved over $300.

The new X model is impressive (and expensive) but the changes in the 8 and 8 plus, whilst significant aren’t ground breaking.

What I find interesting is that the Apple store now have 4 generations of iPhones for sale, the SE, the 6S, the 7 and now the 8.

Maybe they’re not going to artificially slow down previous generations… just yet.

iPhone X AUD$1579
GST free price AUD$1435
Apple Australia exchange rate AUD$1.00 = USD$0.69

Current exchange rate 0.80
USD iPhone X USD$999
Direct conversion AUD$1248
Apple Australia tax = AUD$187

Usually Apple has a very generous (in its favour) 10 cent risk margin in the exchange rate when a new product is announced, this works out even higher at 11 cents. It obviously expects the AUD to fall.