iPhone X Discussion

I haven’t pre-ordered but I just went down to JB and had a play with the display model. Beautiful device, very nice, but I can’t get past the price which just seems ridiculously high. Interested to hear discussions and reactions for those who have one.

Whilst I think the price is crazy, especially in Australia, I’m happy to spend more on a device I use daily. I don’t use an iPad or portable, I only have a Mac Pro now, which I also use daily and replace every 3-4 years. So I spend less there overtime. So I’m happy to spend more on a phone I’m always using. I probably don’t need to upgrade yearly, but I do.

Also, Apple is said to be investing in improving conditions at the factories where iPhones are made. If they’re following through on that promise and some of what I’m spending is going to that, I’m happy with that. Sure you could argue the money is only lining the pockets of Apple Execs, but you could say the same for most companies in the world.

I wish Apple would do more with deals though. Like, buy the latest iPhone and for $100 more you get a case and Apple care. Stuff like that. But it doesn’t fit into the business model Apple has. Sure it’s not perfect and you’re paying a premium that some people don’t want to pay. But there’s lots of alternatives out there. Both Apple and non Apple.

Yes, it’s expensive, however I look it from a “per-day” point of view. For a device that I use a LOT, and will probably keep for 2 years, that works out to $2.19 per day. People spend more on buying coffee daily than that.

Coming from an iPhone 6:

• It’s faster
  • Some apps haven’t been updated. LIFX, for one, has a messed up UI
  • Getting used to the new gestures is going to be a pain
  • No more battery percentage in the top bar :frowning:
  • FaceID was easy to set up, but isn’t much faster than TouchID for unlocking

Yeah, the price is a bit offputting at first glance but I agree with Andy and Hawker - I use my phone so much every day over the course of at least two years - it all averages out to a very minimal per day expense so I’m good with it.

That I didn’t realise and it’s something I use a lot. What’s the next best way to get that info now?

Control Centre.

I use my phone 6 hours a day in total so I might as well get the best device that supplements my life and work. The X is really an easy transition from the 7 plus. If it came bigger I would get it. I’m used to a bigger size to hold on to.

Just curious where you’re getting that price from?

Optus have the 8 for $80/month ($45plan / $35 handset) - about $2.63 per day.

I just looked at buying a 6S outright $699, plus the $35 month plan I’m on… Looking at it over 2 years - not much difference per day… but it all does add up.

I’m probably just being cheap. The last phone I bought outright was the 6, 3 years ago. i kept that for almost two years and then got a 6S very cheaply through work (effectively free).

Coming from the 6, i wouldn’t blame anyone to upgrade. My partner has a 6 plus and although he has said it’s still fine, i reckon eventually he’ll get one, but we’ll see. If I get another cheapy through work then I may well do it then as well.

Even in the two minutes I played with it in store I was getting quite used to the gestures.

At least now I’ve built myself a natural deterent to buyign one. If there’s none in stores (and Apple Stores in Melbourne are miles a fucking way and hard for me to get to) then it’s very easy to stop myself. And Plus there’s no way I would ever do delivery again. TNT are the work of Satan.

1 Like

As a very contented iPhone 7+ Jet Black user, am I the only one who isn’t sure the X an upgrade? I had a good play in store today, and picked up one for me, but I’m not convinced it was the right call.

I went for White, which certainly wasn’t the right colour - kinda a grey colour that Apple call “silver”. Silver it ain’t. :thinking:

But colour aside, I’m not sold on the weird display shape or the gestures to unlock. I love the size of the + screen, which this isn’t actually the same or larger than. And the swipe up to unlock (and every time you go home) seems like RSI waiting to happen as you have to reach so far down. Either way, not sure.

Thinking maybe an iPhone 8+ could be worth a try…

1 Like

Outright price = $1579

365 * 2 = 730

1579 / 730 = $2.16

(I made an error originally, did 720 instead of 730)

Note this is taking into account handset price only.

Ahh - all good. Just - not much good having a phone with no plan. :slight_smile:

I have a non-contract ongoing deal.

The thing with all of this, is honestly, the iPhone 7 as it stands is a perfectly good phone at a half decent price. If you’re on a budget yet you still want iOS it makes sense.

The phone will get slower over time with each iOS update, but that’s the natural way of things. As people want more stuff packed into the phone, more features, it’s going to require more RAM and processor power. It’s just a fact. But people make out like Apple do it on purpose to make more money, but it’s users demanding more features that dictates it. It’s the same in the non Apple camps. The first thing Samsung users do when a new iPhone is released is point out how much longer it’s had more RAM and CPU power, but in a lot of ways it’s irrelevant. If my iPhone isn’t as fast but has better battery life I see that as a win. Sure the argument might be a bit old now as most batteries last at least a day now, but it makes a difference to my day. I’m not seeking out a charging point multiple times a day.

Sorry this turned more into a rant.

Timbo agrees with you :slight_smile: Apple CEO Tim Cook Says Financing iPhone X Can Work Out to Cost of Just a Few Nice Coffees Per Week - MacRumors

Yeahbut… C’mon… Coffeeeeeee…

1 Like

They have a nice feeling in hand but not for me. I’d miss one handed usage, the home button, touch ID and headphone port way too much.

1 Like

Some iPhone X impressions from the weekend:

• It’s all screen, which is awesome. You don’t even notice the notch in regular usage, but I suspect this is more of a “it’s there, so now I’ve gotten used to it” thing rather than something I’m going to gripe about every time I use the phone. Glass is half full, and all that.
  • I’ve heard reports of a slight magenta tinge on certain portions of the display, and I thought I saw something similar on mine, but it’s possible that this was some kind of glue that was drying, as I don’t notice it on mine any longer. I’m 50/50 on whether I should enable True Tone, but the off-axis blue tinge that appears is noticeable, particularly on predominantly-white screens. Not a big deal, but it’s definitely there.
  • I think this sums up the new screen:
  • Face ID is the superior replacement to Touch ID, no question. Even for the specific use case of where you have your iPhone laying flat on a desk, you can still tap to wake (also awesome), see if you have any notifications, and if you do, pick up your phone to let it recognise you, so you can then action the notifications. Same thing you’d be doing with Touch ID.
  • That said, I kinda wish there was a way I could have the phone automatically unlock once it recognises me. Touch ID + raise to wake + “hold to unlock” meant I only had to rest my finger on the home button to have the device unlock, whereas now I have to swipe to get past the lock screen.
  • The gestures are natural now after just 48 hours, and I’ve already started swiping up on my old iPhone 7 to get it to unlock. Starting Control Centre has become a little more inconvenient, but it’s nothing a quick juggle or two-handed usage can’t fix.
  • It’s probably too early to expect app updates from developers, but non-updated apps look bad. There’s also this weird middle ground with apps that take advantage of the full screen, but have messed up UIs.

Anyone come across anything else they find interesting?

3 Likes

I wish they would let us use the same gestures to get to the home screen on non-iPhone X iOS devices - I’m always trying to use the same gestures on my iPad Mini or iPad Pro - would be good to just stop using the home button period except to login.

1 Like

I get where you’re coming from, but that is a terrible idea.

Remember that there are hundreds of millions of iOS devices out there that have always used the home button to go home. Apple release a single device that doesn’t do it the same way, and you want to tell every single customer that their old device, with no change to it whatsoever, suddenly doesn’t work the same way as it always has?