iPhone X Discussion

No, not at all - the way things work should stay the same - but allow an up stroke to act the same way as on the iPhone X - the up and hold already works the same. At least make it an optional setting.

Right, but you realise an upwards swipe on older iPhones already invokes Control Center, or on iPads multitasking… again, changing the existing default for tens of millions of devices, or even introducing it as an option, doesn’t make sense. Apple has never done that before.

1 Like

They did to an extent when the slide to unlock went, even on non-touch ID phones. Control centre changed significantly with iOS 11 so it wouldn’t have been that much harder to have a swipe down gesture for that over all devices.

But back to the X, I’ve talked myself in to it. Unfortunately I can’t order and get it delivered to work and am not reliably at home enough. Is it still TNT? Do they drop off at a local pickup point if you’re not in, or do you have to go to their depot? Also does anyone remember when the backlog cleared for the 7 and previous phones and walkins were available? I know every phone is different though and perhaps the X is harder to come by. The 4 and 5 I queued up for overnight, but the 6 I waited 3 months for and walked in. Not sure I can wait 3 months for the X as my poor 6 is rather struggling now.

1 Like

Of all the discussions I’ve seen about the X, no one really asks about capacity. I currently have a 64 GB iPhone 6, and have never come close to filling it up. I use iCloud Photo Library and Apple Music, so the two big storage hogs are taken care of.

The price difference between capacities is enough to seriously consider, I think. Part of me thinks 256 GB will be good for the 4K video footage and Live Photos, but honestly, how often is 4K video shot and iCloud Photo Library takes care of that anyway.

Will probably go through a telco, otherwise Apple’s 0% financing credit offer looks good too.

Edit: almost three years later, and I’m only using ~30 GB. That surprised me. iMessage for iCloud (or whatever it’s called), when released, will free up a few more GB. 256 GB might be overkill.

1 Like

I went for a 64GB. iOS 11 seems much better at regulating free space for iCloud Photo Library.

1 Like

I’ve decided to return my iPhone X. Still within the 14 days. Will be reverting to my iPhone 7+. My thumb is already feeling the RSI like effects of the constant swiping. And Face ID is very good, but fails in the sun for me wearing sunglasses just often enough to be annoying (I am frequently needing to unlock one handed while holding a baby in the other hand or pushing a pram!). Add in the fact that returning this will save me probably $700 (figure that’s the likely difference in cost after selling 7+) I’m feeling happy with another year on the 7, or maybe even an 8+ down the track.

The sunglasses thing would get annoying, that’s something to take into consideration if you’re outside a lot.

My iPhone X just went to preparing to ship and they’ve charged my card. That’s pretty good, they’re well ahead of the November 14th to 21st my order initially had.

Can you return the baby? Might save you more than $700.

6 Likes

:thinking::open_mouth::grimacing::joy::roll_eyes:

W-hoo. I’ve rendered my question irrelevant! I woke up before my alarm yesterday, just before 6am, and managed to snare a reservation as a result.

First impression of the X after a day is excellent. Battery life is still over 50% at 8pm compared with having to charge the iPhone 6 after lunch often. I haven’t had the sunglasses problem yet with faceid. Sometimes faceid works entirely seamlessly and you don’t realise it’s done it, even at odd angles, other times you see it thinking. However it’s definitely a two hand phone for me. Partly as I’m terrified of dropping it even though it’s nice to hold in your hand, a bit reminiscent of the 3G, but it’s just that much bigger than the 6/7/8.

The setup was a pig though as it wouldn’t bring my watch activity data across in full. After a bit of googling I found the answer which was to unpair the watch from the old phone, do an encrypted backup via iTunes, and restore to the new phone via iTunes. For some reason restoring from an iCloud backup didn’t bring all the data over and I wasted hours last night trying that twice. Anyway, all good, and despite the breathtaking price I’m delighted with the phone.

Can you reserve an iPhone X at a store and put it on a plan when you go to pick it up, or are they strictly for buying outright?

I was listening to the latest episode of Connected last night and some of the hosts also referred to RSI issues with the X, but they also had the same issues when moving to the Plus iPhones a few years back.

After a little while they said they got over it (is that how RSI works? I have no idea). Maybe it’s just retraining your hand muscles through everyday use?

They’ll do a plan for sure. Reservations open at 6am. If you’re lucky enough to snare one you then book a 30min window that day to collect from the store. I used the Apple store app to do it (top of the iPhone X page) and kept on going back and forward to that screen to refresh it at 6am and about 30 seconds later got a spot. The day before I tried and all gone at 6:01am. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks, @Tom. I’ve subscribed to Robinhood on Twitter which is pushing notices to me each time one comes into stock for reservation. Missed out on some Brissie ones this morning.

That’s good to know for next time, I didn’t know that Twitter feed existed!

Someone I know tried at 6am and got nothing, but came back at 7.30am and got a reservation. Probably a cancellation or something. Either way, worth a shot.

1 Like

In case anybody was wondering, you can do plans and use your Telstra new phone feeling when making a reservation online with the Apple store.

You guys reckon you need a case for this thing? I can’t decide if the back is hardy enough not to scratch, but I love the colour so I’m hesitant to get one.

So did it take forever to download your apps or is it only me?

It’s close to 12 hours since I set it up from backup and it’s still downloading my apps with only about 1/2 restored.

After seeing the drop tests I’d say yes to a case. I grabbed a black leather Apple one. Looks pretty good.