iTunes, do I really need it?

iTunes sends me update notices on a daily basis. I don’t download music or videos to keep. Do I lose anything by not updating, please?

For months i was pestered to download the update to iPhoto which apparently smoothed the migration of my photo library to Photos. I’d already done this before upgrading to Mavericks at the Apple Store, a couple of years or so ago. (I have wireless B’band so it would have taken the rest of my natural life to upgrade at home to Mavericks). Now I run Sierra and in desperation recently told updates to (re) download the iPhoto upgrade. The update messages went away.

I’ve looked on-line and it seems I don’t need the iTunes upgrade. Can anyone confirm this for me, please, and if so, how can I stop the daily notices which demand that I pick a time to be reminded?

Thank you.

I don’t have an answer specifically for iTunes… but my understanding is there is no way to stop the incredibly annoying update requests…

If you apply the update then you won’t get any more update notifications.

What’s your issue with updating?

2 Likes

Not without disabling the system-wide automatic check for updates, at least.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/59207422/upgrading-is-compulsory.jpg

1 Like

Download and install iTunes 12.6.5 and you won’t get any more reminders.
Link is in this post…

Thank you very much for the replies.

kerr, I’m reluctant to D/L anything I don’t need. I don’t access Mail on my iPhone so don’t need to sync my digital devices. I don’t take phone calls on my computer as I found it too unwieldy strapping the laptop to my head.

iPhone is asking me to sign in using settings every time I attempt to use it. I’ve tried, but It won’t accept my password so I just hit ‘not now’. I’m concerned that if I D/L the upgrade on my laptop, where my password is accepted, and it asks me to sign in, it may throw a hissy fit and lock me out of my computer. I didn’t consciously do anything to the iPhone to cause it to do that. maybe I’m attributing too much power to iTunes.

Cosmic, I guess that’s part of my reluctance, because it’s compulsory without improving my use of the computer.

Thanks for the link, Chrip. iMic I don’t want to turn off the system-wide notification for updates.

I’m still confused. What is the issue with applying an update? iTunes is considered system software on a Mac although I believe it is possible to delete it. Maybe that’s what you should do.

I don’t need macOS Mojave but I have it and will update to 10.15 when it comes out.

You have tagged this as a Mac issue, so why do you keep talking about your iPhone? Maybe if you updated iTunes perhaps your issues and fears would go away.

I haven’t used iTunes for years but if there’s an update, I just apply it and get back to using my Mac. Why can’t you?

1 Like

I think I follow - the iPhone is prompting you to login to iCloud / Apple ID in settings whenever you use it, but since the password isn’t being accepted, you’re concerned the same thing will happen on your Mac when you try to update iTunes.

It shouldn’t - I don’t believe it prompts to sign in for an iTunes update. If it does, click Cancel. The previous iTunes version will remain on the machine.

Also generally attempting to sign in using an Apple ID too many times can temporarily lock you from accessing that Apple ID account, which can affect iCloud and the App Store - but not the computer itself. So provided you can log in to the computer just fine as-is, that shouldn’t change when you attempt to install the update.

Also, I wouldn’t disable the automatic check for updates. (I did; it’s about as close as I get to living dangerously these days.) I was just mentioning to @cosmichobo that I don’t believe there’s another way to disable those notifications otherwise.

2 Likes

Thank you iMic. You’ve nailed it. I should have said ‘lock me out of iCloud,’ not my computer, because the phone does ask me several times a day and I just cancel the request.

Since you’ve reassured me nothing dire will happen I’ll go ahead and D/L the iTunes Update. I certainly don’t intend to disable the update notifications.

1 Like

kerr, please see iMic’s response. He’s summed up my concerns very well.

1 Like

Just D/L iTunes 12.8. It did ask me for my icloud I.D and P/W. The email address that automatically loaded was and old one, no longer in use.
Maybe that is the one iPhone still looks for. Perhaps the iPhone problem is solved now?

@kerr

My issue is partly due to the fact that for a number of years my OS requested me to perform various updates, however would then refuse to perform the updates, giving only a vague error code. I tried a number of permission /etc fixes but nothing worked. I actually only just remedied this issue a few weeks ago when I upgraded to Sierra - STILL had the problem, but then finally found a Terminal command that allowed the updates to be installed.

The second aspect however is that of choice. I should have the right to choose what software I put on my computer - if I choose not to install an update, I don’t need to be harassed by the OS over that decision.

1 Like

I believe that not installing updates is just nutz. Hackers and malware makers love getting into computers that have not had security holes patched. As iMic said… living dangerously.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bye bye iTunes

I was required to recommend installing software updates (Apple policy) but typically advised customers to hold off for at least a few weeks after a new update came out.

In 10 years working with Macs, I saw more machines come in broken from failed Apple software updates (mainly macOS point releases and Security Updates) than malware infections by a ratio of around 10:1. As such our major clients with mission critical systems were running on macOS releases at least one to two versions out of date.

Myself, I’m still on macOS Sierra and iOS 9.3.5. High Sierra was a piece of junk and Sierra seemed to run reasonably well. Mojave has come out since then, so who knows, might switch to that when I service the machine next.

The iPhone was held back purely on the principle of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, but it’s starting to act up now. Mostly WebKit related, so an iOS update should help, but it’ll be interesting to see how the iPhone 5s handles it.

Security updates, yes. Feature updates I’m more than happy to wait. Apple security updates Mac OS back to -2 of the current version so I keep family members usually -1 on the current version.

When I refer to updates, I’m talking about those updates we get via the app store for security, safari etc. An OS for me is an upgrade (or not, depending on how you look at it). I am not one to jump on the latest. I stayed on Sierra forever on my Macbook. I stayed on El Capitan even longer on my Mac Mini, then jumped to Mojave, and now back to HS. I dont mind it. I dont like Mojave (and please nobody ask me to justify that? It just is)