Let's talk about price

Apple’s pricing has been a test since at least 1990 when I purchased my first - and second hand - Mac. Apple’s pricing has always, always been an issue, compared with other products in the market that are almost always a lot cheaper.

Absolutely, Apple has been known for making better quality products (most of the time). At this point however, with the iPhone as the stand-out beacon for what’s wrong with Apple pricing - they’ve gone too far. Even if you adjust the historic iPhone prices for inflation, there’s a huge leap over the past few years, and whilst part of that was due to the increase in screen size, ultimately the price point has gone over a lot of people’s budgets.

This should have been foreseen. (And I’m guessing it was, by some poor sucker/s that are now in the position of being able say to Tim - “I told you so”. Cos that’d be great for their career… :slight_smile: )

We used to be able to buy lower spec to get in, and upgrade ourselves over time. Now everything they make is like an appliance, no upgrades, no longevity.

I got my first Mac in 2006 and it was a Mac Mini. I got it because it was cheap. Now you pay $1200 for it and can’t do jack squat with its internals. It’s no longer entry level material.

I think people have been spoiled by “new better & faster tech every year, for the same money or less!” of the last 15 years… but miss the part where the world economy changes, and the AUD changes. Take @frankie’s Mac mini example. In 2006 a Mac mini cost $600 USD and now it costs $800 USD. $600 USD in 2006 money is worth WAAAAAY more than $800 USD in 2019 money!

Houses cost 4 times what they did 10 years ago in some cases. Computers & Phones may have doubled. So you’re still saving 50%. :man_shrugging:

That said, the ‘low’ end of the spectrum has managed to keep the price even lower than Apple, by selling data. The recent coverage of “post purchase monetisation” being a whole “thing” for the TV industry angers and scares me. TVs that report what is displayed on them back to head office to be sold to prop up an unviable retail price for the TV. And don’t even get me started on Android phones that send everything to China (you know they exist!). Or the fact that we have 10 times the data allocation on our 4G plans these days, but still use it all just to download damn .js files for ad networks to track our every browser click. :rage:

The other big takeaway for me (and I’ve been saying this to anyone that will listen for 2 year actually!) is that the iteration speed of the smartphone market has peaked. The iPhone 6S is still a totally viable phone, and it’s 3 years old. Every phone before that really was worth upgrading to yearly.

I have LOTS of clients using computers that are 3-8 years old that are not worth replacing until they die. Without this becoming a support and repair rant (hah) since SSDs, there really isn’t anything that makes users want to update their computers, and retrofitting an SSD is often better than buying a new Mac! I think the same is true now for phones. My personal phone is a 7+ and see no reason whatsoever to replace it at this stage and I think that’s the new normal.

According to the inflation calculator I just used, $600 (US) in 2006 is worth $747 (US) in todays money.

So yes, the price hasn’t increased that much for the Mac mini in that time, but then again why has it increased at all? Yes the technology is better, but that is the nature of technology. It gets better and then the price drops again.

Higher pricing = higher margins meaning they can sell less and still make more money.

I judge it by the measure of what iPhones used to cost. I won’t even look at Australian costs, but in the US

iPhone 6 (September 2014) - $649
iPhone 6S (September 2015) - $649
iPhone 7 (September 2016) - $649
iPhone 8 (September 2017) - $699
iPhone X (September 2017) - $999
iPhone XR (September 2018) - $749
iPhone XS (October 2018) - $999

Apple used to offer their base model of their flagship phone in ‘standard size’ for $649 US, but apparently can’t anymore. I kind of got it with the iPhone X - kind of next year’s technology this year. But why did the iPhone 8 cost $50 more than the iPhone 7? And why didn’t the Xs cost the same as the X when a year on a lot of key components should have costed less? And then the Xr is now $100 more expensive than the old base flagship iPhone cost.

Inflation between 2016 (iPhone 7 at the $649 cost) and 2018 would only have boosted it to $679.

I don’t see the value in price increases when feature jumps are not that significant and when you look at only paying $50 for an iPad Pro, or buying two iPad 9.7s for the same price…

And I guess, I use my MacBook and iPad more than my phone and always have. @bennyling, I do see your point. As much as it goes against how I use technology, there are people who do everything on their phones with little need for a traditional computer or even a tablet which makes it a valuable device. I just don’t in my view let that justify arbitrary price increases.

Anyways as I said, it is just my opinion. Apple is pricing iPhones higher to be at the higher point the market can tolerate, which increases profit margins which means they can loose sales and still make more money. As someone who isn’t a stockholder, its not a path that I support.

I use iMessage but am trying to gradually get my friends who switched to Apple to start looking at alternative messaging systems. I’ve come down to Telegram, Signal and Wire which are all cross platform. I dont use wire, it requires your email address rather than phone number. Telegram can be used like iMessage, across all your devices, with or without physical keyboards. I really like it. Signal is the most secure, Telegram is the one people seem to gravitate to though (Signal is pretty basic). I’m opposed to using either Google or FB for messages (getting people off fb messenger has become a nightmare. Gawd people are lazy!!)

If ever I get everyone to move to an alternative, I’ll be able to see my way clear to moving from Apple, but probably to linux rather than Windows. As for phone… whatever. But not Android. I do want to stay with Apple for that, and Watch, too.

No doubt Apple has problems selling the latest iPhones.
However their latest trade in deals are quite good (IMHO), try the online calculator, in store is the same price

I’ve heard of Telegram for a while so maybe it’s time to have a look at that, reality is that you have to go where the people are and lots of people have Google accounts, me included. Getting them to sign up to new things isn’t always easy as it’s just another “thing” to most. All my email is delivered through google so at this point I figure they already know everything there is to know about me. That said, the ability to send zip files via a messaging service would be very handy so I might look into Telegram a little more.

I buy my iPhones outright and use pre-paid SIMs, bouncing around whomever has the best (lowest) price per GB of data (not interested in call/sms cost). Although I can afford the latest and greatest iPhone, I don’t believe they are worth the price. I’m currently still using my iPSE64 purchased when first released as it offered the features i needed in a form factor I preferred. The new devices themselves are superb pieces of technology, but are too thin, too large, and fragile for my everyday/everywhere phone.

Now if I could only SIM pair the SE with something else . . . . .

I picked up a Surface Pro 6 today - so far so good. W10 isn’t too bad.