Lightning to 3.5mm Adapter?

If such a thing exists, I’m trying to find something that is essentially the opposite of this:

Wanting to plug lightning earbuds into my MBA. Google isn’t being a huge amount of help. Does anyone know of anything. There’s nothing Apple, but 3rd party maybe?

It does not exist because this means digital → analog → digital. You would lose quality, amplifying distortion. You’d need an ADC. You would also need a DAC and an AMP, they’d all need to have access to the lightning connection’s power in order to run and… That’s not going to happen.

Fair enough, I guess if it were possible or viable someone would’ve made it by now.

I only ask because I can’t find my old 3.5mm earbuds and I’m not willing to drop $45 on a pair of new ones.

I found an entire reddit thread where people tried all sorts of crazy multiple dongle combinations. None of them worked. I think you’re out of luck. I’d say consider some over the ear headphones, so they are significantly different from your earbuds to warrant the cost.

I suppose this is a question of how often you need them and how good you want them to be, plenty of cheap cheap headphones floating around.

https://www.kmart.com.au/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=headphones&categoryId=&storeId=10701&catalogId=10102&langId=-1&pageSize=30&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=

The idea of over the head phones sounds like a good option, especially if you want nicer ones.

I’ve actually already got decent headphones, but I need something with an in-line mic. Nothing wrong with the MBA’s built-in mic, just want more clarity from a mic closer to my noisehole.

Very occasional need for videoconferencing meetings, etc.

For my needs, a cheap Kmart set may suffice, but I’ll try to find my old ear buds first.

That said, I’m looking at a new MB purchase very soon (maybe even tomorrow!) so we’ll see what gets announced overnight. Might be able to use a lightning to USB-C adapter.

Oh. Yeah. Hmm. Maybe just get a clip on USB mic?

https://www.saramonicusa.com/products/ulm5

When Apple released it, my mate and I said that the lightning EarPods had to be one of their most stupid products ever.

There are only two intelligent decisions for wired earpods and a lightning connection is not one of them. Either stick with 3.5mm or go with USB-C.

Apple can be so annoying sometimes.

I’ve gone bluetooth for my headphones I use every day, but if I had to go back to another wired set I would probably heat shrink the adaptor to my 3.5mm plug since I don’t use them on any other device. That or I’m sure there is a little rubber retaining bandy thing on eBay for a couple of bucks to hold it onto you headphone cord (I know the wife bought one for her Apple Pencil Cap after almost losing it a bunch of times).

Couldn’t find my old 3.5mm earbuds despite looking (they’re around somewhere!).

Groupon had a deal last week for genuine Apple earbuds at $19. Ordered a pair on Friday and they came today.

Happy with that.

1 Like