MacOS Sierra

So the MacOS Sierra GM came out this morning. I hadn’t tried any of the betas but I downloaded the GM this morning and will install it tonight. I’m guessing others here will do the same. Let’s give the Mac some love, how are people finding it and is there any standout feature you love? Honestly I probably need to go watch WWDC again because I can’t remember much of what was good about it.

1 Like

I don’t even care… I’m still running 10.9 on my MacBook Pro, I can’t get used to the fact that the icons look like something out of a comic book. The obnoxious/manic smiling finder just does my head in.

One day we’re going to look back on flat UIs in the same way we look back at OS 9. I’m already over it and waiting for UI designers to make their next move.

Full version coming out on 20 September with iOS 10, so not too far away…

Gold master is public beta now so I’m installing it

The full version (Golden Master) was released to public beta participants this morning, so there’s no wait :slight_smile:

1 Like

I may download it, just to stare at it for a little while, but it probably wont be making it into my daily use cycle until I absolutely have no other choice.

Installed it this morning, no problems so far. Everything running happily.

Did the same with iOS 10. I’m not really liking some of the design changes, but I have noticed that it’s more responsive and smooth.

I’m hanging out to do a clean install of Sierra so I can’t wait :smiley:

I’ve been running Sierra for a while, I haven’t used any of the new features at all :open_mouth: El Captain was a different story.

Yes did the install today, smooth & all OK so far.
Also did Watch OS3, took forever but working well, will try golf apps tomorrow.

Been running it for a day or so. Nothing stands out yet, feels exactly the same except it doesn’t support my work VPN anymore - which is a good thing, don’t get me wrong.

Haven’t used Siri except to ask it what it can do. All my apps seem to work fine so far.

I’m hoping we’ll be buying a MacBook Air some time soon (second hand of course), so have been checking the oldest Sierra-compatible machine… 2010-11 seems about right…

Then I thought… Why do I care? Like Orestes, I’m still using 10.9 on my Macs (that can go that high)… I hate the new flat look… So, Sierra be damned…

Ok - for the record… What am I actually missing? :slight_smile:

I think the only feature I’ve had an interest in from the MacOS lately was the hand-over thingy that lets you “move” between your Mac/Mac/iOS device… Until I found out that none of my machines were capable of using it anyway.

Okay so I totally forgot Siri is now on the Mac, and that is actually rather cool.

All going well, although I’ve noticed Outlook 2016 is very laggy and will beachball often. Don’t know if this is Sierra or Outlook being problematic.

Hmm, we just upgraded a whole bunch of Macs to Office 2016 at work. I’ll have to test Sierra and Outlook 2016 with Office 365.

Works fine for me.

Anyone tried Sierra on a 2010 MBP with 8GB of RAM?
Yosemite was a bag of hurt which left me triple booting for the sake of compatibility between old & new Macs and some audio plug-ins.

Might wait until I get confirmation that the Focusrite interfaces I have and Pro Tools run ok before I leap in. Maybe I’ll put it on the iMac and not the MBP just in case…

Installed it on a couple of machines here and everything is running fine so far. I’m having trouble seeing what is actually different.

Maybe because of a rebuild, Spotlight seems faster at least. Siri is USELESS if you attempt a search out of the normal. “What time is it in Hawaii?” results in a Wolfram Alpha search that turns up nothing. WTF?!?

Differences other than Siri are small. Things like Optimised Storage etc.

I’ve noticed anecdotally that macOS Siri doesn’t seem quite as talented at dealing with plain language as iOS Siri.