MacOS Sierra

You can also set Trash to auto-empty in 30 days using instructions here:

https://cdn1.tekrevue.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/macos-sierra-auto-empty-trash.jpg

I updated and now I am in a world of hurt. My MacBook Pro is a US keyboard layout, and I was using Karabiner to remap it to Japanese. I haven’t used a US keyboard layout in about a decade, and I’m DYING here. Is there any other way to make my computer think it has a Japanese keyboard? This completely destroys my workflow. Otherwise, I’ll have to go buy a Japanese wireless keyboard (I have a US one, which Karabiner passed the layout through), because I can’t function like this.

I’m planning a clean install and was all prepared… until my last remaining 500GB USB HDD packed it in last night while doing an update…

I used to have a drawer full of spare drives but it seems I have given away or re-purposed them all over the years :stuck_out_tongue: The only one left is the old SSD out of my wifes 2011 MBA which lives in a USB 3 case and is bloody quick, but that’s only 256GB.

I was tempted to just push a full image to my NAS (it’s only temporary after all) but there is something to be said for having a bootable backup at these times. In any case I’ll pick up another external drive on the way home and start the backup process again and hopefully have at least a booting machine tonight…

mind you, I’ve got visitors coming tomorrow for the weekend, so maybe I should hold off until next week in case anything doesn’t work since it would drive me crazy knowing I should be fixing something rather than making small talk :stuck_out_tongue:

iCloud is blocked. Line of business services are supported, others are not. Home environments are not supported. Policies aren’t used to manage the actual BYOD device but rather the user account has restrictions based on the device they are using. The network is segmented to push BYOD users out in a separate direction from business devices. BYOD WiFi has strong reporting for monitoring usage. We have no control over what staff do with their personal device in terms of when they do/don’t update their OS, but we know a high percentage of Mac users are wanting to update as soon as new versions are available, so we have to be prepared is the point I’m making. We have a decent 50/50 split of BYOD vs company issued devices so it’s not an insignificant number we’re contending with.

Using a combination of Karabiner-Elements and Key Maestro, Japanese layout functionality has been returned to my US layout MacBook Pro keyboard.

But it took all day. :expressionless:

2 Likes

Is there a way to pause the iCloud drive sync? I stupidly turned it on last night and it’s about 0.000000001% in to it, and I don’t want to chew up mobile data when I’m out and about today.

Great, now I’ve got a situation where I’m at work, and therefore not connected to my Time Capsule, and I keep getting this error when I try to open a Finder window:

“There was a problem connecting to the server ‘soandso’ The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time.”

Yeah, it is, SO STOP LOOKING FOR IT. Anyone know how I can tell it to stop?

It would be nice if Apple gave us a bit more icloud drive space. I’ve used a GB of mine without even really trying, must check exactly what’s in it. I love the idea of the shared desktop but what happens if you temporarily paste a large ISO there or something? Will it try and upload it to the cloud?

Regardless I’ve left it off. I wonder how many upgraders just left that option on without realising what it would actually do.

Fixed it, also, here’s some screen shots of how I decided to set up MacOS Sierra, which is quite a departure from my previous workflow (with an auto-hiding bottom dock). But I find this is considerably easier to work with, given the graphic/video editing tools I need.

So far I’m really impressed. My 2012 MacBook Pro only has a 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5 with 4 GB of ram (upgradeable to 16 GBs). Even with an SSD, under Yosemite and El Capitan, it had gotten really slow and difficult to work with, but as I bought it with AppleCare, which it still has, and don’t plan to get something else anytime soon (as the 2012 Non-Retina MacBook Pro is the last truly upgradeable/customisable MacBook), I wasn’t looking forward to having to get anything newer for a while.

Under Sierra, now that my keyboard and phantom drive issues are solved, I can focus on how animations and launches are snappy, video seems to run a lot better, websites load and scroll faster, and it’s just a generally better experience. It feels like I just made a hardware upgrade, honestly. Photoshop CS3, which I am still using, runs super fast. Much faster than it did under Yosemite or El Capitan, and likely better than when it was running under Mavericks, if my memory serves.

My one complaint so far (and we’ll see what happens when I start running complex, resources heavy programs like Premiere or combinations of things like WINE/Avisynth with loads of filters) seems to be that there is a significant slow down in boot time. There’s a very noticeable delay before I even get from the black screen to the gray Apple screen and loading bar, then the loading bar loads much slower than I remember, but then as soon as the bar is done, everything snaps forward and is ready to go. Maybe Apple’s under the hood tinkering merely has hidden some of that processing to make it visually more appealing? Dunno.

可愛い!

My MacBook is still doing its icloud sync/spotlight index thing, so is anything from snappy, but getting there. Like iOS 9 to 10 the change is iterative rather than earth shattering, but so far so good!

1 Like

The changes may visually be fairly minor, but the smootheness is noticeable. It’s clear from all of the crap I’ve had to change, including rewriting remapping code that the innards have been pretty fundamentally rewritten. Just because the GUI looks like a small change doesn’t mean that the code hasn’t been changed in a big way, of course.

I’m a JHS/SHS teacher at a private school here in Japan, and I’ve got a thing for uniforms (in a non creepy way), I even wear my own semi-uniformish stuff when I teach. It’s sort of a trend (I’m a woman and look really super young, so I get away with it, at least for now). Most of my own primary and secondary schools had uniforms, so it’s not exactly strange to me. More of a natural inclination from long established habit.

Incidentally, the sailor uniform one at the top? I used to teach in that area. Not the same school which that drawing represents, but one in the same municipality, and the uniform is almost identical save for the exact stripe color, since the uniform regulations are defined by the city board of education. So I thought it was cool someone had done a drawing of it. This artist does various pictures of actual school uniforms as a kind of historiographical undertaking…

Ha ha, I’m a 6’6" tall bloke so it’d be rather weirdo creepy if I wore uniformish stuff, but I love the neatness and order of Japan. I’ve only visited once but am slowly learning the language and can’t wait to go back. Not sure I could cope with being a salaryman over there though which is effectively what I am here. :slight_smile:

I have had some problems with Sierra, and I have now restored my 2011 17" Macbook Pro back to El Capitan via a time machine backup.

There was no problems at first, but I mistakenly chose to use iCloud for my desktop and documents. What I did not realise that my Parallels Virtual Drive was stored in the documents folder. This meant that the computer was constantly trying to upload the virtual machine, but at the same time it was saying it was ineligible to be uploaded. The result was the machine fan was constantly running on high and trying to do anything was like trying to wade through treacle. As well when I restarted the computer and checked the drive using Disk Utility it believed the drive was a different capacity than it really was. This happened a couple of times.

I will try again but not for a couple of weeks to see if there were any bugs in the system which Apple might fix. Everything is back to normal after reverting back to El Capitan.

1 Like

Yeah, I had my downloads folder in the dock pointing to my time capsule drive, and for a while Sierra freaked out. El Capitan would always knowingly switch between Downloads when connected to the server and Documents when not connected. Sierra didn’t want to do this and it kept freaking out because I was at work and it kept trying to access my time capsule and locking everything up.

1 Like

It would be really nice if you could unlock your Mac using your iPhone as well as your Apple Watch. Considering I don’t believe in wearables you have to recharge every day I won’t be buying an Apple Watch any time soon.

It would also be nice if I could use Hey Siri! on my Mac.

Am I the only person who hasn’t had an issue with Sierra?

1 Like

Nope, running perfectly here too :slight_smile:

Also running perfectly here. :slight_smile:

Sierra may not be playing nice with CrashPlan. I’m working on it. May just be that I’ve just returned from holidays and crashplan is trying to upload a lot of photos and videos.

Nope, upgraded two three macs without issue - just my wife’s to go, she’s not in any rush