MacOS Sierra

No problems here either. Sierra is surprisingly light in terms of its footprint and nice and fast at the same time.

Yes, all good here too.
Improvement over El Capitan, continual improvement.

Just updated the late 2013 iMac at work, running very nicely. Loving the copy and paste between iOS and macOS Sierra. Among many other things.

Sierra seems to have broken some of my plug-ins in finalcutproX.

Pixel Studios LUT loader doesn’t let you select a LUT to load. Ive been shooting in LOG and using that plug-in to load some different colour effects. Since Sierra i’m getting the missing FCPX effects window.:rage:

This is why you don’t install zero day updates on mission critical hardware.

1 Like

The same happened with my third party extensions/plugins in Photos - all I needed to do was to open those plugins once as standalone apps and they were reinstalled as plugins. Maybe try that.

Waiting for new rMBP announcement before I even consider installing Sierra.

Took 2 hours to download at home over ADSL2+ which was a bit ordinary.

Its funny how some of the little features are the ones that have appeal - like the option to keep folders at the top of a list in Finder windows (Finder → Preferences → Advanced → Keep folders on top when sorting by name).

2 Likes

I subscribe to MacLife which is part of TechRadar. This morning I received an email which had a section on common problems with installing macOS Sierra. My problem of the fans running on high all the time is a known issue and unfortunately there is no fix yet. So I will stay on El Capitan until there is a fix available. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/macos-sierra-problems-here-s-how-to-fix-the-most-common-issues-1329043?tm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=15622&utm_term=3267843&utm_content=263031

@whitestickbloke no way, folders on top? Finally! Only took Apple forever :unamused:

1 Like

Sierra’s Optimized Storage regained me about 80GB last night. It showed me a bunch of old video files that I’d forgotten were there, as well as outdated iPhone backups and the fact that I hadn’t emptied the trashcan for a while. I’d have probably found them eventually but it’s a useful tool for when you want to scrape back some space.

I had my first network bug today. 8 day uptime before the network stack packed it in and decided it no longer wanted to connect to my work network.

Sierra all fine here but I’m not really doing anything ground breaking with it. I have a 2013 13" Retina Macbook Pro and I’ve noticed virtually no difference between Sierra and El Capitan (though I prefer Sierra simply because it’s easier to say!)

Watch Unlock is handy but the annoying thing is you get a pointless notification on the Watch itself every time you walk up to the Mac, which you totally don’t need. I hope it’s as annoying for everyone at Apple as it is for me, and they introduce an option to switch it off or get rid of it completely.

Seem to have an issue with mail moving items and getting stuck. It seems to be stuck on moving 1 of 167 in activity monitor and nothing is happening so it always stays there. Anyone got an idea of how to fix this?

I like the way Safari handles Flash now. When El Capitan came out it removed the Flash Plugin and I managed to survive a month or so without it, but there are still too many websites that use it so I reinstalled it. I installed it immediately when I upgraded to Sierra, but like the way Safari asks before it loads Flash content. I had no idea how many not-obviously-flash sites used flash - must be flash cookies etc. Most of them I say “never for this website” and it seems to work OK. Hopefully this will be another nail in a crappy technology’s coffin.

Oh, I forgot. I don’t know if this was a Sierra problem or if it’s just coincidence, but after installing Sierra I got a prompt to say that my Time Machine History needed to be deleted and a new backup created. I didn’t get around to doing it until last night. My backup is on a Time Capsule along with backups from our imac and my partners Macbook Air, and neither of them had that problem. The good thing is it deleted 1TB of backups (going back to November 2013 When I originally got my Macbook Pro). Backup took overnight to finish via Wireless ac.

I haven’t upgraded yet. Is below true?

In icon view, Sort by Name now goes across then down.

You mean this?

I just copied the comment from the bottom of http://www.mcelhearn.com/two-useful-new-preferences-in-the-macos-sierra-finder/

But I just tested it in El Capitan and icons go across then down, so not sure what has changed and what they are talking about.

Those 2 new checkboxes are the two new preferences in Mac OS Sierra Finder.