Mail - saving attachments

Today I received an email that had fifteen photos attached to it. They are attachments - as fifteen .jpg photos. I’d like to save the email, exactly as it is, with the photos. I go to Save as . . . where I am offered the chance to save as an .rtfd (there is nothing in the email but text and photos), with a ticked box saying “Include Attachments”. So I click on that - and I’ve saved an .rtfd file of 1 KB, with no attachments. If I want to save the attachments, apparently I’ve got to go to the paper clip at the top of the panel, and choose Save All - which saves all of the attachments separately - but doesn’t save the text of the email! Then I’ve got to make a folder to put the email and all the photos in separately - where all I wanted was to save the email and its photos, just as it came to me.

So Include Attachments doesn’t include the attachments, and Save All doesn’t save all. Am I missing something simple, or am I the one that’s simple? (2007 MBP, 10.11.6, Mail 9.3)

Does the body of the email show the photos, or do they appear as attachments/previews you have to click on to view?

If the body of the email shows the photos, can’t you start printing it and do the convert-to-PDF trick?

Doesn’t really explain why saving the email and selecting Include Attachments doesn’t do what it says on the tin, though. I’d expect Save All to save only the attachments.

EDIT: OK, I just tested this. Looks like there may be some kind of limit on saving an email with attachments if you’re doing it via the Save-As option.

From here you have two options, the most reliable way of saving the email and attachments appears to be just dragging the entire email to your desktop or somewhere. This will create a .EML file which you can open in Mail allowing you to review the sender, recipient, subject, body, and any attachments.

Otherwise you can do the print option I outlined above, which you can turn into a PDF to do much the same thing.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks, bennyling. The body of the email does show the photos, so I don’t need to click to view. I guess I could start printing, but I don’t want to print the photos, I just want to save them. Again, I could convert to .pdf I guess, but I expected just to be able to save the .jpgs in the email where they were.
I’ve just tried the dragging to the Desktop, making an .eml file, and it looks as if that’s what I want. I thought that the “d” at the end of .rtfd meant that there was more than text - that is, the photos, but apparently not.
I’m happier now - thanks for your help!
Alex