Monday Morning News

23353730892_8eab4bf2bf_bEveryone’s favourite analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has predicted the launch of a 4-inch iPhone in early 2016. The device will be an upgraded iPhone 5s, but with the A9 processor found in the iPhone 6s. A colourful metal casing will differentiate the device from the current quartet of iPhone colours, and so long as we’re not calling it the cheaper iPhone, we’ll have to see how this rumour pans out.

This cheaper — sorry, smaller — smartphone is already being hailed as the iPhone 6c, which is weird given that it’ll have the internals of an iPhone 6s. A recent poll of US consumers says there’s still a market for smaller-screened devices, with one in five respondents saying they prefer 4-inch smartphones over larger alternatives. Anecdotally, I’ve heard a lot of people wanting a smaller device than the 4.7-inch iPhone 6/6s.

According to Digitimes, Apple no longer considers the Apple TV a hobby and has ramped up production on the media streaming device. Their latest intelligence says we’ll start to see faster hardware iterations, starting with a “dramatically faster” version of the Apple TV hardware, set to being production early next year. All that computing power has to be used for something, so there’s a good chance we’ll also see a few added features thrown in.

Apple has found an ally in their ongoing e-book price fixing battle in the courts. According to Ars Technica, the Authors Guild and several others writers groups told the Supreme Court “Apple didn’t illegally conspire with major publishers to fix and raise the prices of e-books, as an appeals court ruled”, instead increasing pricing competition.

Also from Ars Technica is a interview with Apple’s SVP Software Engineering Craig Federighi about open-sourcing Swift and the future of Apple’s programming language. With all future work set to happen in the open on Swift’s home on GitHub, the focus will definitely be on Swift for the next few decades, a sentiment echoed by Federighi over at The Next Web, who also had an interview with the Apple exec.

There have been mixed reports Apple has upped the 25,000 song limit for Apple Music and iTunes Match, but there’s no official word from on what the limit has been raised to.

The iPhone has taken out the top spot for the most popular camera used on Flickr, with the iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 jointly accounting for 42% of photos uploaded in 2015. Whether this is due to people uploading their entire photo libraries to Flickr instead of just being a site used more by pros, or a tribute to the rise of the iPhone as the best point-and-shoot in the world, well, that’s up to you to decide.

A piece over at The Verge says Apple being late to the party is nothing new, but perhaps it was a little too late to the party with music streaming. Apple Music is currently in fourth place behind the Pandora, Spotify, and Youtube trio, and with its launch hiccups, might not have what it takes to come out on top. But it’s early days yet.

There’s a new version of Pocket Weather out, and Pocket Weather 5 is the free update to Australia’s favourite weather app we’ve been looking forward to. There’s a new look and feel to go along with the Apple Watch complication and glance, and what’s more, the folks at Shifty Jelly say we’ll be getting more frequent updates going forward, instead of the larger all-in-one releases.

The latest version of Pedometer++ solves a problem to do with what Apple considers to be your primary device when counting steps. There’s always an easier way to start tracked walks, which has always been a little fiddly via Apple’s Workouts app.

SiriMote is a Mac app that lets you use the Siri Remote from the new Apple TV on your Mac, just without the touch surface. Other than that, the volume and media keys work as much as you’d expect them to. MacStories has more, if you’re interested.

After appearing in a short cameo in a recent Apple ad, Jon Favreau has his own 15-second short showing off Hey Siri on the set.

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2015/12/monday-morning-news071215/

I could actually be tempted by a new 4" iPhone. I kinda wanted a larger screen but when I went to buy the 6, I found it to be too big for me, thats why I have the 5S. whilst I have become used to the size of the 6 (a couple of friends have them) I have still been hesitant about buying. I’d like updated innards, though. Hopefully Ming Kuo will be right. He so often is.

4" iPhone. As a mythical device it’s fun to talk about but it feels like a step backwards and Apple don’t do backwards.

For the fun bit:

I can’t see a top spec 4 inch iPhone competing with the flagship offering, so it’s gotta be a step or two behind. We have lost the 5C to the 5S which is as close as you’re going to get and still maintains all the good stuff like retina screen and fingerprint scanner, yeah it’s lagging behind with the A7, but it’s the “entry level” offering they can market as the cheaper alternative (somehow without saying cheaper).

To be honest the current line up confuses me a little although it’s mostly because of the different sized phones, the the 5S, 6 and 6S ranges being good, better best meaning there are 5 options.

Do you suggest they move to three sizes (or 4 if you keep the 4.7 and re-introduce a 4") and have a shit load of size/space configurations in the good, better best offerings?

Apple will probably go all the way and make a 2-inch smartphone… known as the standalone Apple Watch… :wink:

Unfortunately, it is repeatedly crashing on my iPhone 4S… Did not have any issues with the previous version.

The latest Pocket Weather seems to be a bit of a disaster update for Shift Jelly. There’s a lot of unhappy people leaving negative reviews in the app store.
I haven’t had any crashing on iphone 6S plus, but the layout does seem a step backward to me.
Here’s hoping the more frequent updates get them back on track as being the go to weather app !

Yeah I feel a bit bad for them. I love the update personally, fits very well in with iOS 9, which the previous version didn’t. The only bad thing for me is a lacklustre Watch Complication. Carrot does this very well, but PW’s is just way too basic and has the wrong information IMHO - a Watch Complication should have information that updates regularly, so having the forecast for the day as the complication is totally pointless - how often do I need to see what the forecast temperature is? Once a day!

Bingo. This is the only really serious misstep for me, the rest of the design feels a bit unfinished but I’m used to it now.

1 Like

I think the interface is a step backwards, it works but it feels less polished than the previous version. I already own the app so I’ll keep using it but where as I wouldn’t have looked for anything else now I’d think about it.