Monday Morning News

If I didn’t know any better, I’d almost suggest Apple Music deleting your music without your permission is Apple’s strange way of making reparations for adding an album to your library without your permission. But while debate rages on as to whether Apple Music deletes your music or simply has such bad UX that one bad dialog box means your entire local library is gone, perhaps the solution to all this is to simply add a feature that doesn’t delete music without your explicit permission. Put some of those modal dialog boxes to good use, Apple, and make it happen.

The good news is, now students can get in on the Apple Music train at a 50% discount. The offer is valid in Australia as well as the US, UK, and a handful of other countries, and your student discount is valid for up to four years, with student eligibility verified via the Unidays service.

A report from the New York Times says Apple met with prominent podcasters to discuss the future of the medium. While Apple is wondering what the next step is for podcasting, Marco Arment recommends caution, lest we see yet another open medium fall victim to the walled gates of the App Store.

The Verge writes that Apple CEO Tim Cook is travelling to China to meet with government officials. There’s no official agenda, but with the recent closure of the iBookstore and iTunes Movies in the country, there’s a good chance they’ll be discussing Apple’s position in the country.

Apple is looking for a huge expanse of land for car testing. The Wall Street Journal says Apple is after almost 7.5 hectares of land, as the Apple vehicle project now has around 600 team members and is only expected to grow.

Apple’s HomeKit app to control HomeKit accessories may arrive in iOS 10. MacRumors claims a review on Amazon about a HomeKit-compatible accessory was written by an Apple employee, who says that the next version of iOS will have a standalone HomeKit app.

Rumours of the next iPhone having a Smart Connector have been greatly exaggerated, with the Smart Connector expected to be relegated to iPads for the time being. I’m not sure what advantages a Smart Connector on an iPhone would bring, as the iPhone doesn’t connect to keyboard accessories as much as an iPad does.

AppleInsider claims an upcoming point update to iTunes will bring minor UI changes, including a new sidebar designed to address complaints of feature bloat.

It’s also rumoured Apple will be removing the Connect tab in Apple Music sooner rather than later, with the streaming service’s social aspect following in Ping’s footsteps.

On Friday last week in 1998, the iMac G3 was revealed to the world. It combined the excitement of the internet with the simplicity of the Macintosh, and Stephen Hackett’s collection of every iMac G3 colour is something to behold.

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/05/monday-morning-news090516/

Couple of things from today’s news: are hectares the commonly-used unit of measurement for land area in Australia?

And, can someone explain why some models of the iMac G3 have shielding for CRT components, but others with more transparent plastic don’t?

For farmland and large areas it is such as forest etc. it is.

In my simple head: 4000sqm is 1 acre. 2.5 acre is 1 hectare.

Just looking at those iMac G3s brings back memories from that time. I had a Snow DV SE and it was just amazing having something that looked like it did (when all computers previously were disgusting beige or grey boxes) was incredible!

Woo! Postgraduate study = paying off :heart_eyes:

Are you sure…? I know how much postgrad courses cost, esp full fee paying ones, so I’m sure you will still be behind in $$$… :wink:

1 Like