Monday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/07/monday-morning-news250716/

Rumour has it this year’s iPhone will come with a Lightning to headphone jack adapter, instead of a set of Lightning-equipped EarPods. Supply chain sources indicate that with the lack of a headphone jack on the device, Apple will go down the path of Lightning to audio adapters instead of going all-in on Bluetooth, potentially easing the pain of switching away from a near-ubiquitous port in favour of whatever other innovation this year’s iPhone will bring.

Renowned phone leaker Evan Blass has predicted a week of September 12 release for this year’s iPhone. Citing no source in his tweet and giving no additional details, it’s not much to go on but Blass has been correct about many phone leaks in the past. Note that he says release, so perhaps we’ll be seeing an Apple event in late August for an announcement.

Apple is facing yet another class action lawsuit, this time for providing refurbished replacement devices under AppleCare+. The lawsuit alleges that refurbished devices provided by Apple fail to meet Apple’s own “equivalent to new in performance and reliability” terms, as despite Apple’s refurbed devices being cosmetically new, there’s a good chance they’re manufactured from previously-repaired parts.

Apple is releasing limited-edition Apple Watch bands to celebrate the Olympics in Rio this year. The exclusive Woven Nylon bands come in a variety of colours to represent different countries, but will be sold at a single location in Rio. Maybe not worth a trip to Rio unless you were already planning on going, but otherwise well worth picking up.

With Pokémon Go taking over the streets, Apple says the app broke the record for the most downloads in its first week. It’s pretty impressive, given that Go only launched in New Zealand, Australia, and the US to start off with.

If you haven’t already, you should definitely be updating your Macs and iOS devices to the latest OS X and iOS releases. Both iOS 9.3.3 and OS X 10.11.6 patch vulnerabilities related to TIFF image exploits, which can allow remote code execution on your Mac or iOS device.

Only 175 Apple-I computers were ever created by the Jobs-Wozniak duo, and of those, only 60 of those machines are still in existence. Auction site CharityBuzz will be auctioning off one such Apple-I tomorrow, and it’s expected to fetch up to a million dollars, with the proceeds being donated to Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Six Colors reviews the Razer Mechanical Keyboard Case for the iPad Pro. The good news is, the keys are as clicky and as noisy as you’d expect from a mechanical keybord, but the bulk of the keyboard case means it turns your iPad into a laptop. Might be useful if you’re going to be doing a lot of typing, but it’s also $260 in Australia.

Macworld has a few reasons to run your own Mac server, which can provide handy administration benefits even if you don’t have multiple Macs or iOS devices in your household.

Stephen Hackett talks a look back at the iSight Camera, one of the more collectible Apple accessories due to it’s Braun-inspired design.

That’s exactly what I have running… although instead of setting up VPN, I use Teamviewer to remote in.

I’ve got one of these and put it up on Gumtree and eBay without getting a single bite!

I think this would be incredibly disappointing. I can see why they want to do away with the port but by not offering a new ‘whizz bang’ alternative technology, just an adaptor, their response is very mediocre.

If the rumours are true and this years non S update is a lean one in prep for the big one next year, having BT pods in the box would have been a sales boon for them. At least it would be something new and shiny to show off.

The real 7 next year better bloody cure Cancer and solve crises in the Middle East.

That has to be the worst option they could have gone with… They are dropping a standard connector in favour of… an adaptor for a standard connector. Not even embracing a lightning connected headphone set…

Sure it’s good news for everyone who wants to keep using their own 3rd party headphones, it also means that you can use your Apple headphones with your computer or other device. But it just feels so half arsed this way.

Funnily enough I would probably be more accepting if they include lightning headphones and you had to BUY the other adaptor (it would be nice if they included both of course but that extra few cents per box eats into profit).

I forget sometimes how much of a total nerd/geek I am vs normal people. As I read that article I kept thinking “doesn’t everyone do that?”… But then I remember that for lots of people the concept of even a simple backup to a USB disk is considered “advanced” :grimacing:

edit:

Beaten while I was typing :stuck_out_tongue:
I do wonder what they will call the new iPhone this year, iPhone 7 is what “people” are calling it right? Nothing official. Maybe this is the year they step away from numbering things and it will simply be the iPhone… or the iPhone 6GS?

A lightning adaptor… well that’d suck :unamused:

Sell it to me!

That seems the option most in keeping with past choices but that doesn’t mean Apple will go that way.

Remember the whole “they’ll never call it an iPad” discussion? :slight_smile:

iPhone 6S+ Plus?
iPhone 6S2?
iPhone 6S Advanced?
The New iPhone?

iPhone 6S+ Plus is redundant! (like when people say ATM Machine… grrr)

iPhone 6S2 sounds like a hybrid of a Samsung and an Apple.

iPhone 6S Advanced is too long for marketing I suspect.

The new iPhone (maybe this one).

Maybe I needed a :wink: in there :stuck_out_tongue:

Mostly tongue in cheek for all of those.

1 Like

I’d gladly buy it off of you :slight_smile: what’s the condition/packaging?