Monday Morning News

Daring Fireballer John Gruber’s thoughts and observations on last week’s Apple event start by saying it was one event that managed to cover all four major aspects of Apple’s business that needed covering. But as much as it was a representation of Apple’s keynote prowess after the unmitigated disaster that was the WWDC keynote, the cohesive flow from one product…

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2015/09/monday-morning-news140915/

1 Like

Calling it now - AppleTV (2016) won’t have ethernet.

I’ve never used Plex before, but can I ask how it will make the new AppleTV so good? So you install Plex on it, and you can access all your media from a server such as another Mac, is that right?

Yup AVC, if you get your Plex media server set up right, it really is a fantastic way to manage all your TV and movies. I’m also giving it a crack to manage my music now too.

Plex is awesome. Once you use it you will understand why it is so good. I love being able to pick up my viewing on any device wherever I am.

My wife is a non techo, and she loves Plex. As soon as the Premium Plex Pass was available I was instructed to give them money, so I purchased a Lifetime Plex Pass. It was not really because we needed the extra functionality the Plex Pass provided, but my wife thought they deserved money and she did not want Plex to ever go away.

Yeah Plex is the business. I held off jumping ship from XBMC for a long time thinking I didn’t need or want the server side component of the system. But once I set it up it made managing my media so much easier, and being able to access my content from anywhere on any device is amazing. I’ve got a Raspberry Pi 2 stuck to the back of my TV just for Plex, even though it exists on my PS4 and some other boxes. I’m not sure that I’ll jump on this new ATV while my RPI2 is doing so well, but at least having the option there is awesome.

Also 100Mbps ethernet is still the better option over wireless (AC or not) for consistent throughput.

1 Like

Agree, I’ve never used Plex - not sure why it’s better than just iTunes home sharing?