Most people never upgrade their Macs

I never bought this belief that soldering components somehow improves their reliability. The interconnects between components have never been a problem, and rarely does reseating a loose Memory, SSD or Wireless module actually correct a fault, especially when those components are also screwed into place as most of these modules are. There are of course exceptions:

• Solid Platform Flex cables and card edge connectors that become partially disconnected with sudden drops (some have screw-in retaining brackets to mitigate this issue)
  • When Apple can’t correctly engineer the interconnect cables, such as the broken traces inside the 13" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro HDD Flex cables that would occur again, and again, and again.

Otherwise the most common component failures are from the ones that are soldered on, like the Graphics Processor. The difference of course between a soldered or integrated component and a socketed component is cost. An integrated component costs a lot more in part costs and labour to replace. The above examples, when they occur, are usually quick and cost effective to correct.

I’m pleased Australian Consumer Law somewhat covers us in this regard, otherwise consumers with current generation MacBook Pros would be screwed when their keyboard fails outside of the Apple Limited Warranty. (And they’re failing, I can tell because I’m replacing the bloody things.)

That aside, I’m not that interested in upgrading my machines anymore. My 15" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro was the last machine I performed any significant upgrades to and that machine is still my go-to when performance is critical. Otherwise I’m satisfied working with MacBook Airs that are otherwise stock.

But I don’t like machines being locked down from the user. I don’t believe components should only be serviceable as block modules, like the Top Case w/ Keyboard, Trackpad and Battery assemblies Apple replace when a single component requires attention, and I believe that manufacturers are removing or restricting capabilities all while claiming it’s to improve security.

Remember when Secure Boot was first tabled within the PC industry, a system in which manufacturers and vendors (Microsoft) would have their devices require an approved and signed bootloader, thereby limiting what operating systems those machines could run? It wasn’t received favourably. A few years later Apple unveils the iMac Pro with the same functionality, prevents the system from using any bootchain that isn’t specifically approved by Apple, calls it a “security feature” (protecting against whom, I’m not sure) and it’s received with praise because Apple, such a generous company they are, have our best interests at heart. It’s the same shit with different marketing.

(At least it’s a selectable option for now. It’s almost certain to become the standard on new machines within a few years.)

Consumers that funnel thousands of dollars into this stuff over and over, only to complain when the machine is too expensive, too restrictive, doesn’t do something they want it to, doesn’t have the connectivity they need, or costs too much to fix really need to consider what they’re purchasing ahead of time. Ignore the marketing speak for a moment and look at the motives behind some of the engineering, design and process decisions Apple chose to make with the product, and decide whether you want your dollars endorsing those decisions.

If the answer is no, it’s time to look elsewhere.

4 Likes

My 2012 quad core mac mini that I’ve upgraded to dual SSDs and max RAM is still going strong as a home media and file server. I would get something similar if Apple stops going backwards with the mac mini.

3 Likes

Personally I believe any company who thinks soldering RAM= fewer repairs is just trying to pad their sales numbers by taking advantage of customers who are now forced into buying everything upfront(higher cost of RAM due to market demand) vs aftermarket upgrades as a consumer can afford later. Often when consumers buy computers it’ll be when they can afford it or are stuck replacing a Mac/PC ASAP–in my mums’ situation her notebook was failing & had to settle with a specific price point.

On the work front I’ve had to exclude Apple mainly due to the CTO pricing/options, if you want a larger SSD you’re stuck moving up to a more expensive model in some situations. As far as the iMac vs iMac Pro, I view it more as Tim Cook being in a rock & a hard place with a lack of a new redesigned Mac Pro. Currently DDR4 has hit stupidly high premiums, at the moment I’m thankful of buying servers in the spring as 32GB ECC was cheaper but the current tech environment might look uglier until supply levels balance out by 2019/2020.

As far as this topic, I need to buy a new Mac yet the non-nVidia situation left me looking elsewhere. For those wondering about my work, its AI research and CUDA compute projects–eGPUing a 1070/1080 to a Mac would be unrealistic, it’ll be cheaper to buy a Ryzen 7 or ThreadRipper system and jam in two or three GPUs :weary:

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see the Mini go. If Matreya is right, and if frankie is right, then the cheap mini and iMacs will disappear, and MacOS based machines will only be available to people with a lot of disposable income. If Sir Jony wants to continue being elite (and he has always struck me as being a bit precious because of his lack of attendance at Keynote Presentations… why is he so special that he never went?) then we can look forward to some wonderful design upgrades, thinner and faster, and nobody but the elite will be able to afford any of it. Steve Jobs must be spinning in his grave.

But, thats in a future I probably wont be about for,

I really don’t see this happening. If the Mac mini and base iMac came standard with small SSDs, they’d be perfectly fine for almost everyone in the target market - slow storage is really their only weakness. They may not have the latest and greatest everything in them, but they are really great computers. I heard a stat somewhere that the MacBook Air is still Apple’s best selling model by quite a margin (education, etc.) so I think these fears are unfounded.

1 Like

Me either. Uncle Tim and Uncle Phil have both said recently that the Mini is important and has a future. Not sure what it will be, or be like after the 2014 models which were very disappointing for me, but at least there will be something.

2 Likes

Current Mac Line Up RRPs - Base Models:

$US - $AU - Model
$ 499 - $ 749 - Mac mini
$ 999 - $1499 - MacBook Air
$1099 - $1599 - iMac
$1299 - $1899 - MacBook
$1299 - $1899 - MacBook Pro
$2999 - $4899 - MacPro

I built this table then I drove around for 2 hours showing the kids Christmas lights and… I’m sure it had a purpose… Please enjoy.

Yeah but… you havent accounted for the State Tax that Americans have to pay when they buy. You’ll only get those prices in Oregon or… ?Delaware? In Rhode Island theres another 15% on top and I think Arkansas might be around 7%. Well, it was once. Maybe more now.

Love it. And why oh why does he always look like he’s about to cry. Sheesh.

I’m not buying another new Mac until I literally exhaust all of the highest specced 2011/2012 MacBook Pros for my mobile and work needs, and the highest specced/upgraded Mac Pro Cheesegraters for my video editing needs. That is a LONG way off.

My 13" 2012 (but built and sold in 2015) MacBook Pro 9,2 is still under AppleCare until March of this year. It had new keys, a new battery, and a new charger added by Apple, under AppleCare only last year. It’s running the max 16GB of RAM and is running RAID 0 SSDs in both of the SATA connections (I replaced the optical drive, and kind of knew I would too, when I replaced my 2010, as I had already stopped using the optical drive at that point). This thing is very fast. Even though it’s now maxed (probably, unless internal changes to future SSDs could make the read/write faster?) and the CPU was always going to be the bottle neck (cannot be replaced, I don’t think? There was never an i7 for this model, right?), I predict it will be years before I need to replace it. I have kept it as near mint as possible, and there aren’t even scratches, dents, or scuff marks on the unibody. When it must be replaced, it will be with a 2011/2012 15" or 17". I give zero crap about retina display. My eyes are terrible anyway.

As for desktops, where I do most of my major video editing, I’m not even editing in 1080p regularly yet. I mostly edit in 480p or 720p because of the real, native resolution of my animation source. When I finally feel like my Mac Pro 3,1 can’t be pushed any further (and I only have 10Gbs of RAM and the dual quad core 2.8GHz Xenons in there right now), I’ll probably look into a 4,1 and flash it to 5,1, or a 5,1. Not interested in a 6,1, and I won’t have the funding for whatever insane price is going to be attached to the 7,1 (or whatever it ends up being).

The ONLY possible problem I can see with this is if Apple starts trying to intentionally break my access to MacOS versions or security updates, or my current Adobe CS5 suite starts freaking out on me. I only gave up Adobe Premiere 6.x a few years ago, and I was sullen and resentful about it. If it ain’t broke, I am not interested in changing it. If all things are equal (as is Sierra and perhaps High Sierra on my supposedly unsupported 3,1), then don’t try to keep me hardware out of the OS cycle. Eventually, I am sure, I will end up in a situation where I fall further and further behind in current OS, as I wait for jiggery-pokery on whatever “obsolete” Mac I have to let me keep going.

1 Like

I view the issue as “Cost of Ownership”. Divide the price by the number of years the Mac is working and the subtract all the time ($) you don’t have to spend learning archaic interfaces and the time ($) spent trying to connect to printers and external devices and the time ($) getting rid of viruses etc. etc. Sure the Mac and Apple Products are more expensive but why would you buy a BMW with a Ford engine?

I dunno, man. Windows 10 is pretty sleek and unlike the automotive market most internals for PCs and Macs come from the same few factories.

A few years ago I’d be fully with you on the design and build of Macs, but this 2017 MacBook Pro I have is the biggest disappointment of a machine I’ve owned in many years. It has a very poor design and build quality. I could have done better with a new HP.

2 Likes

I would have to agree.

I’d say the exact same thing about my 2013 iMac.

The whole “it just works” ethos that surrounded Apple has gradually gone out the window since Jobs died, now we’ve got “it’s got to be thin and look good” instead.

So we have MacBook Pros that are no longer ‘Pro’ (because they can’t be properly upgraded).

MacBooks with keyboards that are unreliable and bad to type on.

And iMacs that overheat because they’re too thin.

And that’s without mentioning iOS which seems to become a bit less ‘better than Android’ each release.

1 Like

To be completely fair this has been happening even while Steve was in charge.

Perhaps now is should be ’ it just works’

I dunno what you’re doing with your Macs but I’ve not had a single problem with a Mac since 2007, when my PMG4 died. Apart from playing with fire using beta versions of the macOS, I’ve rarely encountered any real problems…

1 Like

Just using them.

The iMac 27 inch overheated (badly) and has been ‘fixed’ under warranty, but it still gets too hot.

The MacBook Pro keyboard has faulty keys (and I’d like to upgrade the memory but I can’t).

My iPhone 6S+ started getting very hot whenever I used it when it was on charge or hooked

Recently my iPhone 7 (which is less than a year old) has started doing the same thing.

I’ll address this in another discussion thread…

3 Likes