Multi-Touch Repair Program for iPhone 6 Plus

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6plus-multitouch/

Apple has determined that some iPhone 6 Plus devices may exhibit display flickering or Multi-Touch issues after being dropped multiple times on a hard surface and then incurring further stress on the device.

If your iPhone 6 Plus is exhibiting the symptoms noted above, is in working order, and the screen is not cracked or broken, Apple will repair your device for a service price of A$ 228.95.

Somewhat disappointed with this outcome. I knew Apple would eventually issue a repair extension program for this issue as I’ve seen a steady increase in the number of affected units coming in the door, but attributing the failure to customers mishandling their devices and then charging a rather steep service fee for the repair is a bit off on their part.

I’m having doubts that Apple’s explanation of the issue occurring “after being dropped multiple times on a hard surface” is correct, rather simply because I’ve had Apple refurbished devices straight out of the box exhibit this issue and - excuse me while I get somewhat detailed and technical here - the affected components are not encapsulated in the underfill material commonly used within the industry for additional bracing of BGA solder ball electrical connections under the chip, meaning they’re more prone to this type of failure even from minor board flexing or even repeated thermal cycling.

I expect the program will involve replacing affected devices with refurbished units but for those that take up the offer be aware that the issue will likely reoccur again in the replacement phone down the track.

Still, affected owners that wanted a cheap(er) repair, there you go.

1 Like

$228 for a problem that is semi widespread? Wow Apple.

Just more proof that Apple hates the environment.

Nah just proof that Apple likes to blame manufacturing problems on users and then charge them for it.

1 Like

so the problem is only with some 6+ devices, not 6S+ ?

Its only the 6+ I think. I don’t blame Apple for the problem, I blame them for handling it poorly.

1 Like

iPhone 6 Plus is mainly affected, however some 6 devices have exhibited the same symptoms as well.

The iPhone 6S and 6S Plus aren’t affected due to two engineering and design revisions. The device is built with a harder 7000-series aluminium that isn’t as prone to flexing, and the multi-touch controller ICs have been relocated onto the display assembly and off of the Logic Board.

2 Likes

Bumping an old thread…

Leading up to the new iPhone launch my 6 Plus has just started showing this issue over the weekend.

Just have to work out if it’s worth $230. If it’s a refurb replacement with a new battery I’m probably far more interested before I hand it down to one of the kids. If it’s just a repair… well then the cost a newer second hand phone starts to sound like a better option.

Did anyone ever confirm if it’s a repair or a replacement?

Aussie Link:
https://www.apple.com/au/support/iphone6plus-multitouch/

Refurbished replacement. Any iPhone repair that involves Logic Board issues is a whole device replacement, sometimes on the spot, sometimes after sending them off, but the same phone never comes back. (Although who knows if the units are actually refurbished - some experience Touch IC issues out of the box.)

1 Like

If refurb means new battery, that’s half the cost right there.