Where do you buy DVDs from online?

G’day,

So it’s 1.30am, and I’ve just finished putting together a list of the remaining DVD titles I require to complete the BBC Doctor Who library. (14 singles, plus 5 box sets to at least own 1 version of every released story (because of course they re-released a number of titles as “Special Editions”…))

How hard can it be to make said list? Surely not hours of work? But, yes, because you see, I now have a list that includes cover art, and if the title is out of print, which Doctor the story belongs to, etc…

This is however by far the simpler option compared to my measures taken when collecting the Doctor Who novelisations back in the 90’s… For that I created a card system, followed by a HyperCard database…

Anyways, should sleep so my list can be put to use tomorrow at JB Hi Fi whilst they have their Buy 1 Get 1 Free, Plus another 20% off as they are BBC/ABC titles…

Good night,

cosmic

I did see a thingy of Doctor Who DVDs at JB when I was ther the other day. There were a few cowering around it so it was quite popular. You should put your list on google docs or something so others can benefit from your hard work :).

Once I’m done collecting, maybe… (:slight_smile:

Now I’ve moved on from the simple list, created a spreadsheet and started researching online vendors, noting price, stock on hand, and average price per story…

G’day,

So, where do you buy your DVDs from online? In fact - even in person?

ABC
JB HiFi
Big W
KMart
Mighty Ape
DVD Orchard
Sanity
DVD Warehouse
Gamehead
DVD Land

Anywhere else you can think of that I may find a few errant BBC titles?

I’m working on the theory that the few titles I need, even if they are officially out of print, have to be sitting somewhere, gathering dust, hidden away from the mainstream…

Between the above companies I’ve found nearly every title, though a few are noted as “Available”, meaning not in stock, but can acquire from distributor… Which gives me no confidence at all… Been there Done that when buying my TAM… :}

cheers

cosmic

I get mine from Amazon.co.uk, JB HiFi, but generally I rent from the kiosk in the supermarket.

I rarely get DVDs nowadays, but I get the occasional bluray from amazon.co.uk

I bought a couple of my remaining missing 1st and 2nd doctor DVDs in this sale. Only missing 1 Hartnell episode and 2 Troughton.

I buy mine almost exclusively from JB - when on special.

come on guys, move on from physical media

So what do you suggest in the cases where you want to watch something that isn’t available digitally?

I mean, these guys are discussing Doctor Who DVDs, which are generally multi-disc sets which have commentaries, documentaries, alternate versions, etc. You can’t get that from Netflix.

I wanted to watch Gettin’ Square the other week. I’d somehow lost my original DVD from 2003, and it’s not on any of the streaming services. JB Hifi had it for $7.

1 Like

Tell me about it. One film I’ve wanted for years [The Black Hole (1979)] is only available on VHS :pensive:

1 Like

I’d love to but with my broadband performance streaming anything is means putting up with frequent buffering and downloading anything means a wait of hours before I can start watching.

People still buy physical media in droves, not as much as they used to but DVD sales are still high.

Wake me up when someone offers the flexibility and cross compatibility that a DVD does.

Getting Square, bloody funny movie that one, I remember plenty of those places in the movie, good old days that. haha

After 2013’s very successful release of the recovered Troughton stories, I expected the BBC to schedule all Classic Who for iTunes… though then heard instead they were going to release them on their own online store… Which I see has happened for some titles - BUT only for UK residents!!!

(Not that I care.)

I think they may be about to move to Blu Ray sets, with the 8th Doctor’s release coming out this month being the trial…

@Oldmacs I don’t expect you to move on from 78s any time soon

1 Like

I don’t own a single record - No reason for a 20 year old to unless you like collecting them.

Gday,
I’ve found an ebayer (who also has a commercial website) who is selling a number of titles I’m after, but notes that some discs labelled as R4 are in fact “dual region” - R2 and R4.

I cannot imagine the BBC releasing dual region DVDs…! Yet the seller assures the titles are all purchased legitimately.

Opinions? Experiences?

Even if they are non Region 4, as per my dinosaur post recently, I can deal with it… But I’d like to know I’m getting genuine goods…

Cheers

cosmic

They’re DVDs, I wouldn’t worry. Blu-ray regions can be a problem though.

R4+R2 discs are fairly common. I have a few DVDs from the UK like that.

The great thing about Blu-Ray is that Australia is the same region as the UK. Makes buying internationally way easier.

1 Like

Ok - I have officially given up on native R4 Doctor Who DVD’s… Too many that are not available, and those that I can find are full retail (shock horror).

The above AU-based seller got me looking at the R2 or R2/R4 prints, which lead me to a seller on Amazon.US who had 10 out of 11 titles in stock for about US$120 - AU$165. The last title I can source for another AU$32, so AU$197 all up… except! they only ship 4 of the titles to Australia - the rest cannot be shipped to my address!!

Frustrating! I’ve had that with some other items on Amazon… Considering Amazon.AU is so limited, you’d think they’d be happy to ship here from - anywhere!

So, I checked out Amazon.UK… And they have all 11 titles for AU$201… only a couple dollars more… and they will ship here… yay. Even if I had been able to find the titles here, they’d have cost me at least $400, so it’s still a win… and the R2 Doctor Who releases are typically almost entirely identical to the Aussie ones…

groan I wonder if Customs will tack $20 GST on the order…