Netflix clamping down on geo-dodgers

I have both uFlix and Getflix. So far so good on Getflix but uFlix has been giving me grief off and on since I got it… Hence the switch. Tried it again a couple of days ago, and I don’t get those messages from Netflix, but I don’t get anything at all, I can only access Australia, regardless of which DNS I use. I gave up. Peter wants to trouble shoot, and I really appreciate that about him, he jumps through hoops to get it right for you, but I’ve lost interest in trying, lately, so sticking with Getflix… For now.

Update

PIA (Private Internet Access) subject to the VPN netflix error as of this morning.

update 2

Pure VPN now gives the same error.

UFlix has fixed their problems

Kyte, I didn’t get the netflix message when accessing the US store via uflix, but i find I must log on to uflix semi regularly and reset the region, because my IP address may occasionally change (e.g. modem reboot). So unless I re log in, uflix doesn’t recognise my address and puts me in the Australian netflix.

That’s always happened for me with uFlix. I just try to remember to log in to uFlix every week or so and click on the update button, even if it says everything’s fine.

Me too, re logging in periodically. That said, I don’t often use uFlix these days, I switched to Getflix and liked it so much I grabbed one of those lifetime licences.

Bit late to the conversation, but I’ll put my hat in the ring and mention my experience.

I’ve been trialling SmartDNS and earlier this week I had an issue. With a quick check I saw they had fixed it and had added “regions”.

SmartDNS allows you to use DNS to unblock providers, giving you an interface to select what region it looks like you are coming from.

Needless to say I signed up, and for $34.90 (US) for 12 months it’s pretty cheap.

The other thing I tried was TunnelBear VPN, which I like to have so I can use when I’m out of the house, also works very well, they have an app that works on Macs and iPhones and iPads.

I’ve got a Chromecast, which has hardwired DNS servers, so I had to do some static route magic on my router to send the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS servers) to a dead end, and added in the SmartDNS name servers manually in my router.

The best thing about SmartDNS is that it works for everyone who is on the network and it’s completely transparent!

I set up my internet on my PS4 again and using the Turboflix method appears to be working flawlessly

Turboflix is now giving the Netflix error.

PIA (Private Internet Access), PureVPN still giving the Netflix error.

NordVPN and Getflix are both still good

As is uFlix

I thought Getflix was down the other day since I was seeing the Aussie Netflix and No Hulu… seems my routr was playing up, fixed that and it’s all still working :smiley:

Unblock-US works fine here. I’ve been flipping between regions all weekend.

Yeah, no problems here with Getflix, although we have had an increase of “This content could not be viewed” errors coming from the AppleTV app, but when viewed on the web app, all is good. Strange.

I was working from home yesterday and had US Netflix on in the background all day via PIA VPN (using the Silicon Valley Endpoint). No issues. Only issue is what will I do once I’ve binged on Season 1 of The Flash???

I’ve had problems with Getflix recently. It involved me having do a reset of and move to one of their alternative sites.

All five seasons of Chuck, Mitty.

I hit my first error with Getflix over the weekend.

On the AppleTV I have things hard coded into the DNS server settings rather than changing things at the router so it’s only the ATV that’s using the DNS. For my laptop (which rarely access these things) I have the VPN setup so I’m only a click or two away from having things working.

I tried to access something via the VPN and hit the “you appear to be using a proxy” message so switched on the TV to see if that was down too… nope. Seems to only be the VPN at this point with the ATV working just fine all weekend long. (although I have had a couple of times it’s decided to stop playing half way through a show for no good reason, something I’ve never seen before. No downsampling, no warning, just a hard stop, what looks like the initial loading screen then back to the show page. Hitting play sees it re-start where I left off.)

It’s worth mentioning that I am still paying for a US Netflix account and while it’s a couple of AU$ more expensive, for now I feel that any matching between account and location that might happen would work in my favour should that become more than the rumours that are floating about at the moment.

Interesting, Getflix on my Apple TV 4 stopped working (again) over the weekend. I wonder why yours worked but mine failed.

I have to remove the DNS and just go back to Netflix Australia in order to watch the new season of House of Cards.

Getflix (DNS redirect) was blocked for me on Friday so I switched to Canada; I switched back to US yesterday and had no problems.