Netflix clamping down on geo-dodgers

I’ve just gone back to regular Netflix at the moment, but I have had to swap regions in order to get Getflix to work. It is getting to the point where I wonder if it is worth all of the effort at the moment.

I’ll be doing that, too, once I have caught up on the TV shows I missed when they were screened locally. I have no need for the latest of everything (eg caught up with NCIS and am now watching on 10PLay for season 13 which isnt on Netflix anyway)

[edit] Having more issues. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I only realised last night that I have stayed logged in to my US account and have my region set to USA as well, maybe thats why it took longer for me to get “done”. No plans to change, though. I’m enjoying Quantico and Agents of Shield on ABC (US). Hate the ads but what can you do.

Other than user created issues I’ve not had any problems with a US Netflix account running through Getflix DNS. Both Hulu and Netflix haven’t skipped a beat for us (yet). Been very happy with the Getflix service.

Occasionally I think about switching my US account to an Aussie one, but then I wonder if having a US account has any impact on any of the geofencing blocks and figure the extra couple of $$ is worth not finding out.

1 Like

I’m getting intermittent issues with uflix - seems to work then stop then works again. Their VPN solution is way too hard to try.

Yeah I gave up on uFlix once they only offered US. Getflix died for me late yesterday also (and so did ABC). Not happy. Alas, I bought a $50 voucher just before all this began and still have heaps left on it. Since I bought it primarily for Netflix, not sure which way to jump now.

Cable networks are slowly fighting Netflix so geo-blocking or price hikes are just going to be a common trend, if cable companies de-bundle stations it’ll only lead towards more networks going it alone(ex: StarsPlay was the first in 2008 with a few ISPs and CBS is planning online exclusive broadcasts)
Doesn’t take much effort for VPN/proxy/DNS monitoring then blocking to please content providers. Netflix uses stats to troubleshoot/shame “bad” ISPs such as the recent scandal before US network neutrality went into law from that outrage(Verizon & two other ISPs demanded interconnect fees from Netflix, Google/YouTube, Hulu, etc). Recently had to ditch my ISP as they’re still “throttling” Netflix to 480p at peak hours but not AmazonPrime(1080p).

US Netfix has lost many shows due to agreements expiring or moving between Hulu & AmazonPrime with an ugly multi-year exclusive agreements, I’ve used a Canadian VPN a few times when shows fell off the US Netflix list.

On a related note if anyone wants to watch live US TV with DVR functions I’ll setup a few guest accounts, I don’t use it as the SiliconDust dual-tuner barely gets reception for our Fox affiliate so I went back to an old USB tuner stick setup.

Getflix just crapped out on me :frowning:

Check Getflix support. They’ve set up some test servers which seem to be ok

1 Like

Unfortunately the test servers are no worky for me :frowning:

Uflix now showing the proxy pop up intermittently. But when you close and reopen the app it starts working again. It is annoying.

Nor me, anymore. It took just one evening to lose all of them.

Very annoying, I just wanted to finish catching up with Criminal Minds and Numb3rs before giving up.

So, this time Netflix caved in to the Big End of Town and once more the likes of Rupert stick it to us.

[edit]. I may have found a solution. People who still have an older AppleTV should find that US Test 1 is OK for now. I’ve also downgraded my iPad to v 7.2.1 (October 2015) and I was able to access my programs right away. For now, I’ve found my solution. YMMV

[edit #2] and now I have turned off things like sending info to developers, and location services… In fact turned off anything which might be sent out… And suddenly the ATV4 is working just fine.

I’ve finally been hit with the proxy error. :frowning:

Oh well. It’s not like I really use Netflix for much more than their own programming. It’s an annoyance at best.

Yep, same here, the wife got the proxy error last night when she went to watch some US-only shows.

Time to find another workaround…

We’re going to let our Getflix account run its course (we have a bit over a month left) and then cancel Hulu (and probably Netflix) for a while.

Stan has much improved since I last took a look, so we’re enjoying that for a while.

Do you lot get a proxy error on your ATV4, or just something like cant get the show try later. The latter is what I get.

I’ve had the proxy error on my iPad once but nothing since I downgraded the app to the October version.

I’m not giving up Getflix, I feel confident that all will be well, eventually. And I do get some “unlocked” shows on ABC (US) like Quantico (which I admit is beginning to bore me, its getting really soapy) and Agents of Shield. There’s also other things to pay attention to, like the BBC and ITV

Getflix’s new US DNS IPs seem to be working pretty stably now.

Only so often there’s an error but it’s so minor that its fixed by either re-trying the content or a simple soft reset of the ATV.

Good to see that they are still actively looking for workarounds/loopholes for their users.

While I’ve not seen the proxy error, the “A problem occurred while playing this item. Try again later, or select a different item got to www.netflix.com/support for more information. (139:NFErr_MC_AuthFailure)” error has become more and more common, but not constant which is strange. Why do some things work but not others??

In any case, switching Getflix to Australia and my spot testing saw everything working with no errors… so it seems this is another step in the blocking game.

Switching to an alternative US region seems to have solved the problem with shows I couldn’t watch before now working nicely. Excellent.

Interesting now the Aust Gov has weighed in, saying that geo blocking is a bad idea, as it promotes piracy! (which it does)

So… My uflix subscription has just run out. Which means I’m in the market for a Dns based service that still works. I don’t want anything overly complicated. Any suggestions?

I switched to Getflix ages ago. They don’t require that you get a new router or install special firmware. They are always working on the issues. I liked them so much I got a lifetime subscription when it was on offer (check Ozbargain for links, I really don’t recall what it was).

What I have done to maintain my connection is to disallow software updates in my ATV4, also blocked location services and anything else which might give them a clue I am not in the US. I also remain logged in to my US itunes account and have the location set to USA.

The AppleTV3 seems to work fairly well but there too I have done whats needed to prevent any leaking of location. (Can’t remember exactly but it seems to be working)

IPad… Reinstalled last October’s Netflix version. I’m pretty sure each new update now has some way of telling NF where you really are.

I still occasionally get an error on the ATV4, which is usually solved by pulling the plug, leaving it a while, and then going back later as they suggest. Sometimes, its simply a congestion issue, but the ATV gives the same error as when NF has detected something not quite right.

I use GEtflix’s US Test 2 server.

[edit] If you prefer to change the DNS in your router, you may find you have to do much more. GEtflix has a bunch of static routes listed which apparently help. I prefer just to make the changes in my devices.