Netflix clamping down on geo-dodgers

Interesting. If that’s it, I a little amazed that it’s taken 2 - 3 months for Getflix to be caught up in all that.

I remember back in the day when sites like megaupload et al had a run in with Paypal who would stop all payments, close the account (and supposedly keep all the funds…) due to some sort of limitation in their T&C’s. Those sites moved to things like bitcoin instead, which would be a right PITA if getflix were forced down that path.

I took the 3 month option to see what happens :wink:

Getflix has lost all the other regions now only US region is working while they figure out a longer term solution.

I’ve given up on trying to get regions other than Oz on Getflix. I still enjoy getting other channels so am not that concerned. I got one of those lifetime for $39 Getflix things and it doesnt expire until 2046… I wont live that long. LOL. I’m finding Aus NFLX ok for now but may cancel my sub when the voucher runs out.

1 Like

Interesting. Getflix seems to work for me for US. I’m actually in Italy at moment and tried to play FOXTEL Play to watch Games of Thrones but got blocked as I’m not in Australia. But using getflix and switching to Australia I was able to play game of throne on foxtel so it actually even works overseas to go the other way.

1 Like

It’s probably illegal under US law, which is where this content originates. Being legal here, doesn’t remove that.

Its not illegal, if it was the US legislators would have been on to netflix years ago, and they werent. The problem is content providers and content purchasers. Netflix has to pay for what it shows, and the content providers are not going to let netflix keep buying, if its not going to restrict its audience in countries where there are profits to be made from other purchasers.

Anyway, Oz Netflix isnt too bad, and my voucher runs out in 2 months. I’ll be cancelling then, because I have been finding myself spending more time with SBS on Demand, ABC iView and BBC iPlayer, than anything Netflix. Theres a couple more things I want to see and I’ll do that, but beyond that I have no need of it. I may renew Stan again for a month and see how thats going, but I am finding local FTA, plus a few odds and sods from ABC US, BBC and ITV enough to keep me contented.

1 Like

Yay! All the Star Trek Series are now on Netflix Oz! Very happy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I disagree with you saying it is not illegal.

Also Australia is joining the TPP with the US and this sort of stuff will be enforced even more.

Whether anyone would bother with a single end user is another matter.

1 Like

We all know Netflix is the biggest streaming channel exist in the world, but Netflix is taking legal actions against users who actually not exist in the territory of United States and trying various software to Watch Netflix in their country. To implement this plan successful Netflix is also taking the help of Paypal and blocking the IP addresses of Netflix VPN providers who are still giving access to unblock Netflix.

12 months ago it was legal and easy to do the moral thing and pay to watch content.

Now suddenly they want me to stop so I stopped… I cancelled my Netflix and my Getflix subscription.

You are right @Geoff3DMN lots of people have canceled their Netflix subscriptions and I am sure Netflix will gonna look into this matter but it is directly effecting Netflix revenue.

I was a bit tempted to cancel Netflix when they finally made uFlix give up last week, but it is getting better all the time and, after using the US site for ages, I’ve noticed that the streaming quality is less subject to congestion issues. Still better than commercial TV with all those insane ads screaming at you. I don’t know how anyone can stand that.