New MacBook Pros

Great… about time.

June then…

I have a late-2013 13" 2.6GHz i5 rMBP and am wanting to upgrade. Planning to go to the US in August so am waiting to see what gets released. Don’t want 11" MBA as my main computer, and wish the 12" MBP had at least 2 USB-C ports.

I also have a late-2009 27" iMac I don’t know what to do with.

Welcome kerr!

1 Like

Looks like a new 12" Macbook with Skylake will be released in April.

Entry: Core M-5Y31 —> Core m3-6Y30
Mid: Core M-5Y51 —> Core m5-6Y54
High: Core M-5Y71 —> Core m7-6Y75

I run my 2013 13" rMBP at 1440900. 1280800 looks best, but 1440900 is a nice compromise which gives you a bit more screen real estate. Occasionally if I’m doing work stuff I flip it up to 16801050 which is actually not to bad. Also the fact I got the 512GB model for $1974 at the time during a 10% off sale at Good Guys (the prices were much better back then). I’d love to know what I’d get if I sold it, considering the equivalent current machine is now probably at least $2500 (I can’t actually check prices at the moment because the store is down).

Those chips came out half a year ago! what the hell is Apple doing?

Focusing on the iPhone and iPad, because the Mac now represents less than 10% of the company’s quarterly revenue.

1 Like

Maybe Apple is waiting for the next Intel chip before updating the Macbook range.

Apple is waiting for the Intel SE version I think.

Same thing they always do, Pinky.

Still pretty happy with my mid 2012 15" MacBook Pro i7, have upgraded it to 16GB of memory and a 256GB SSD and it runs well.

Would love to add a decent sized monitor as second screen, currently running a 23" 1920 x 1080 Philips screen that is OK but I think updating to a 27" screen at the maximum resolution that the machine will handle (I believe that’s 2560 x 1440) would be great but Apple’s screen is massively over priced in my view.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good quality alternative (note that I’m in NZ so pricing over here will be different to in Australia)

Latest prediction 7 September announcement.

https://themichaelreport.com/2016/08/12/apple-will-release-the-much-anticipated-new-retina-macbook-pros-on-sept-7/

That’s soon if true!

Skylake is the first CPU I’m actually remotely interested in upgrading to. It’s the first significant speed bump in 5 years.

Sad thing is the Kaby Lake chips will start shipping about the same time as the new MBP.

But it will have to have skylake, as the first set of Kaby Lake will be the u series chips more suited to the MBA, which apparently is being shafted by Apple to make you pay more for rMBs running slower m series chips, or step up to even higher priced MBPs.

Never mind, the HP spectre and the dell XPS will have Kaby Lake before Christmas.

Apple better pull a rabbit out of its hat or I will stop buying macs after 31 years of Mac goodness.

Someone should build and sell laptops that are Wintel but build out of hackintoshable hardware. That would solve it - freeing OS X from its hardware shackles.

1 Like

I’m keen to upgrade from my late-2013 rMBP. Please have at least one USB-A port. And Touch ID too!

Apple is sometimes slow but also also go bleeding edge. I’d rather have them a little slower than put up with all the issues like the Surface Book and Surface Pro users had from not testing enough.

I’m curious to know how they would implement it. Apple themselves have pushed the fact that fingerprint data is stored within a “Secure Enclave” within the system that enables the use of Touch ID. But the Secure Enclave itself is a component of the A-series processor. So either Apple needs to use that processor, or engineer another method of storing that data to enable the use of Touch ID in an Intel based machine.

It does also raise questions for hardware servicing. At the moment no repairer except the Apple Store and AppleCare Repair Centre is able to pair the fingerprint scanner to the processor in an iPhone. As it stands, taking an iPhone into an AASP for service means sending the phone away; the device can’t be repaired in house. Presumably Apple would continue keeping their pairing tools under wraps and so any Mac repair that involves the Touch ID fingerprint scanner, likely the Top Case assembly and Logic Board, would require sending the machine away for service instead of having it repaired locally.

Interesting times.

1 Like

I’m not too worried about Touch ID as we have Apple Watch unlock in Sierra. :slight_smile:

I’ve often thought that!! The Dell mini 9 worked really well back in the day. Not sure on more recent stuff…