New Macs - can Apple win?

Continuing the discussion from Airpods - Who's keen?:

There’s been quite a bit of this sentiment around lately and I’m wondering if there is really anything Apple can announce tomorrow that will not be met with predictions of doom. Let’s face it: they are not likely to announce any Macs with upgradeable RAM or HDD, there will be no Macs with PCI expansion slots or SCSI ports, and we’ve pretty much seen the product they’re announcing.

With all that in mind, is there anything Apple can realistically announce tomorrow that will make you happy, or should we just cut to the chase and proclaim doom right now?

2 Likes

an announcement that the rumours were wrong, it’s not 4 USB Type C ports, they have left 1 as Type A would be a win

Below is what I wrote a few months ago over at macrumors after someone complained about the continual grief on the threads there. It is even more so now as Microsoft is clearly going after the graphics crowd with the Surface Studio.

"The people complaining in thread after thread aren’t Apple haters. They are Apple lovers.

There was a time when Apple was surfing near the top of the early adoption curve: not the first attempts of a new device class that dwell at the bottom of the upward point of the curve; Apple surfed up near the crest. In fact, Apple would make the curve accelerate upward, building the height of the curve in any product class it entered. Apple at its best. These ‘Apple haters’ loved that Apple.

More recently under Cook it has become a mature company, selling mature products. Its product curve is flat. The focus is on all on the supply chain and margins. The aim of upgrades is iterative, designed to keep the product bumping along the flat top of the curve just that little bit longer, the aim of updates is to stave off decline at the far right of the curve just that little bit longer, and the aim of introducing upsell features to maintain margins just that little bit longer. It allows the Board and executives to enjoy the good life without too much pressure, and indulge in activities not related to the purpose of the company. In short, Apple has lost focus. These ‘Apple haters’ hate that Apple.

The make or break will be the next version of the MacBookPro when they finally, at long last, arrive. If these disillusioned Apple lovers don’t like them, if they aren’t insanely great, the company will be dropped with all the extreme prejudice former lovers are wont. It won’t be pleasant. Sure, these days Apple is an iPhone company, but it’s evangelists, its true believers, aren’t purely iPhone users. They are Mac users looking over the fence at HP Spectres et al."

3 Likes

Quoted because its the truth. Meanwhile, hipster evangelism has become the norm and those who aren’t hipsters are looked upon like they should be using the exit door. That is what Apple has become.

2 Likes

QFT x 2

Tomorrow better be outstanding as they have to packed at least the excitement of 3 events into 1.

Look at what M$ has launched:

To be honest, it’s remarkable - the dial, the high end desktop.

1 Like

I’m not complaining about grief, because it’s apparently the new normal. I’m asking whether there is anything Apple could realistically announce tomorrow that would not lead to yet more grief.

2 Likes

In this forum? No.

Even before the announcement it’s all doom and gloom.

3 Likes

This.

My thoughts exactly but much more eloquently put then my cider riddled brain could manage at this point.

Of course it is doom and gloom. It deserves to be. A company I supported through the dark years of the nineties has clearly decided appliance like machines are all that is needed, rather than powerful machines that are a delight to use, forgetting that the mac is the heart of the company around which all else revolves. Well, tomorrow is it. The make or break to help me decide to go with a surface product or not.

What the hell happened? Where is the company I bought into in the 1990s?

1 Like

You may as well order that Surface now then.

1 Like

Announce? Yes…
Return of the 17 inch MacBook Pro
An serious update for the MacPro
A retina MacBook Air

Realistically announce? No…
A MacBook Pro (sans 17inch) with a current model CPU and some bling.
A slightly upspecced MacBook
Death of the MacPro
Death of the MacBook Air

I think it has a lot to do with the leadership culture as well, Jobs was a visionary entrepreneur and had his ‘reality distortion field’ where as Cook, by contrast, is an Engineer and Supply chain guru, it’s easy to tell where innovation died.

Apple is, unfortunately, just another company now, it pains me to say.

I just watched this ad for the new surface studio.

Seriously, the question for me is not whether Microsoft has caught up - it’s whether they may have overtaken apple in terms of desktop hardware and innovation.

1 Like

Wow. I hadn’t watched that until now. Pretty damn impressive.

Is there any valid reason why Apple has 3 lines of portable computers? The product line-up is just a bit muddled. So we hear a 13" MBP will be announced. Not really sure why. Why have a 12" MBP and a 13" MBP? Why not a 12.5" MBP? Or maybe Apple could increment by quarters of an inch :confused:

Surely a clean and sensible line-up is:
Macbook Air - discontinued
Macbook - 12" and 14"
Macbook Pro - 13" and 15"

1 Like

It is impressive isn’t it…

the sad thing is that it isn’t Apple being impressive, it’s Microsoft.

It’s like we’re living in some sort of alternate reality where Apple have become the bland consumer ‘good enough’ company and Microsoft have become the innovators.

1 Like

just don’t look at the price of the Surface Studio, especially the top end model

Remember when people used to say this about Apple desktops…? :wink:

Sure they could - they could clean up the Mac line and make everyone happy. Why does there need to be less? 3/4 product lines would better cater to people’s needs - The MacBook Retina doesn’t suit a lot of people’s needs and the pro is too expensive/too much. The problem is how Apple has named and positioned the machines.

The current ‘MacBook Retina 12 inch’ should be called the Air - it is the ultra portable machine

The current MacBook Air should get an update - replace thunderbolt with USB-C and upgrade the internals and rename it the ‘MacBook’.

The current Pro Retina should be renamed as the Pro - upgrade internals, KEEP MAGSAFE, replace both thunderbolt ports with USB-C - implant MacBook Retina keyboard (With proper key travel), beef up specs on the 13 inch and introduce the new touch bar.

The current non retina pro should be internally spec bumped, make a fusion drive standard and rename it ‘MacBook Classic’.

Then you have

The ultra portable: - MacBook Air
The allrounder/student/whatever laptop: - MacBook
The Professional machine: - MacBook Pro
The professional/flexible machine: - MacBook Classic

Right now it doesn’t make sense having the ultra portable named as ‘MacBook’ when the real general purpose MacBook is named the Air.

1 Like