New, Old Project: MacBook Oreo!

It’s not ideal… But - would a power bank with laptop connections offer a solution? Something that can both provide power to the MacBook, but also offer other benefits as well - ie iPhone charging etc.

Maybe? It’d be about the same size as carrying two batteries, which is what I’m doing now…

I mean, let’s be frank, I’ll eventually replace this with a new\new to me MacBook Pro. This is a combination of 1) experiment/proof of concept and 2) to hold me over while I save more money/prices go down. It may not be worth buying a power bank with a laptop connection/AC plug. They’re not that cheap…

I’m trying to think bigger now on what to do with more polycarbonate MacBooks if I can start tracking them down for cheap or even for free and repeat what I’ve done here. I just feel like I want to get these into the hands of young adolescents or maybe kids from a lower income background. As a proof of concept, I think this shows just how much can be accomplished in 2018 on these machines with a small bit of effort.

Save The Polycarbonates!

Frankly that’s what I’ve always liked about Macs. Generally speaking, they hold their usefulness. Yes, they may not handle HD video. They may not load web pages as fast. etc etc. But you can keep using them for a long time. Even if you can’t easily print from your iPad.

Certainly I think computers in general need to be recycled better by finding new homes for them.

Well, that’s the thing, while the MacBook Black being a single core processor can’t seem to do HD, the MacBook White not only can do HD (1080p), it can EDIT 1080p in KDEnlive. And webpages aren’t an issue at all.

This really speaks to a combination of hardware choices from Apple and how far Linux has come as an operating system. I did have Lion on the MBW, and it was pretty much unusable for things like handling the 2018 web (YouTube, HTML5, Amazon Prime, etc), HD video, and a number of programs wouldn’t run. Then there was the issue of security updates. And finally, the lack of a modern appearance.

One of the things I love about many of the recent Linux desktop environments, Mint’s Cinnamon included, is that it has that flat element appearance you find both in recent releases of macOS and in Windows 10. I’ve worked next to classmates with more recent MacBooks (yesterday I was sitting next to someone with a 2018) and they have been shocked to realise that this is a 2008 and not something from just a couple of years ago they weren’t aware of (not everyone is as encyclopedic about Macs as we are). The reasons cited have been 1) the obvious care with which the computer has been treated, it still appears relatively unblemished 2) the speed at which the computer does required tasks and 3) the appearance of the OS.