New PRODOS for all Apple2 computers

On the 30th anniversary of the IIgs a new version of PRODOS has been released that runs on all Apple2 machines.

Prior releases of PRODOS blocked out the earlier machines by using 65c02 opcodes. PRODOS 2.4 supports all Apple2s all the way bay to the original 1977 Apple][ Integer ROM, all the way through to the ROM3 IIgs.

. . . .and the 2.4 release is not only smaller than the last official 2.0.3 release, it loads faster!

Also read about this release on Jason Scott’s blog

Apple ][ Forever!!!

PS, there is even a 2.4.1 release that can also run on Apple2 clones :slight_smile:

I went to the Royal Melbourne Show over the weekend and saw one of the stands (for astrology or something like that) still rocking a pair of Apple 2’s with green screens along side an Apple Imagewriter :slight_smile:

The return on investment for that little system is obviously very good. A bit of a testament to the old tech that something that’ been dragged from pillar to post for many (many many) years still appears to be ticking away happily doing it’s job.
More impressive is the printer really, I did a google and was surprised to find you can still find ribbons for it!

1 Like

No way. Really?? As in, still being used by someone day to day?!

I started working on an Apple II last Friday, so this couldn’t have been better timing.

That said the Floppy Drive is dead and needs some major rebuilding, so it’ll be some time before I get the chance to install and test it.

1 Like

Yep. This looked like a show stall that hadn’t changed in 30 years. So while it’s a total assumption on my part, I’d guess this setup had/is/will be doing the rounds for a long time.

(Also let that be a warning to everyone getting their horoscope done at the show… nothing’s changed and you better hope they are using the “stick with your wife” barrel :stuck_out_tongue: )

iMic, if you haven’t got one for your early Macs, it has firmware to support Apple2 images as well.

http://www.bigmessowires.com/floppy-emu/

Highly recommend the Floppy EMU for all early Lisa, Mac, Apple ][, //,///, gs, HDD/FDD support.