New purchases thread!

Also, now that bank approval has finally come through, I bought a house. The time to adult has arrived - something I’ve been avoiding for the last 29 years. :wink: :smile: :smile:

8 Likes

Congratulations :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats - you win for the most expensive purchase in the thread!

1 Like

@Erwin Not trying to be a dick, just a bit excited is all. :smile:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he was genuinely congratulating you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got some Brooks Ghost 9 Runners. Expensive but so comfortable. Couldn’t run in them tonight but will go for one tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fuji Velvia 50 slide film for that super fine grain you don’t even notice. My OM-D doesn’t even go to ISO50 so no comparison to this 120film. We’re talking the equivalent of 60x90mm sensor with every frame. This side of a 5DSR falling off the back of a truck in my street I’m not gonna match anything near what this stuff is capable of resolving.

ujia

1 Like

That reminds me that I really should dig out my old Mamiya 6x7 and start shooting with it again.

It’s a good idea to shoot some E6 before its phased out and all your left with is negatives, both figuratively and literally. Shoot some slide film now for the memories before it turns into the next K24 process where the only way to process it is in black and white or cross processed which is already what one place I go to in Brisbane is doing with E6 which gives “interesting” results lets say that.

For what its worth: I stuffed up my order with my PayPal address so had to cancel. I got this instead though which is a better camera with the 75mm F/5.6 Super Angulon design, Seiko shutter lens. It’s a Japanese copy, as with most cameras of this era, but a very good one at that.

The thing with the Universal/Super Press is that it has very good wide angle lenses for not much money as compared to some other 6x9 cameras like the Fuji GW690 which is why I ended up here as opposed to there. The biggest annoyance really is that absolutely every process is manual and then you have to remember to take out the dark slide before each shot then put it back in afterwards so you don’t accidentally shoot something you didn’t want to.

It forces you to think about everything, and is not really a quick to operate camera if you intend to shoot moments that are going to pass you by more quickly then you can reload the shutter into position and wind the film advance onto the next frame, so if you want to shoot sports or wildlife? Forget about it.

Much like shooting a giant Voigtlander Bessa really. Problem is that by the time Mamiya had brought these cameras out everyone else had moved on to much more easy to operate things, which for me doesn’t phase me really as I have enough time shooting landscapes to ensure everything is right first.

2 Likes

My Tap & Dye custom leather strap just arrived from the US after having fought with Auspost for a couple of days longer than it should have. Looks awesome

4 Likes

Thank you ebay :). I’ve now got more coming, in black.

2 Likes

Hah, I’m accumulating a collection of my own too… black leather with gold stitching is my current fav…

1 Like

Local seller? If so, which one?

I never know. The items were all based in Australia, they said, but hstore2013 is Chinese based. Quick to get things in the post tho, and those were the leather bands. The milanese loop came from ozavenue who is aussie based and it was here in just a couple of days. The leathers took maybe a week. I’ve ordered a dark blue silicon from bessky_cn, wasnt thinking, its coming from China via China post. Which means it wont come for months. Also it was a bit disconcerting to have a note saying it was sent, when it was about 10 minutes after I placed the order, and it was still middle of the night in China.

Because of the speed of delivery and quality of goods, I have ordered from both hstore2013 and ozavenue for the black stuff, and it will probably arrive this week sometime. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

42mm Space Grey with black and grey Nike+ band as well as a regular black sports band.

Now to get a few more bands and see if all the fuss is worth it. So far I’m liking it.

4 Likes

Ipad Air 2 Gold 128gb Cellular. Was $824 at Harvey Norman, split across 2 Amex Cards so I got $100 credit on each, bringing it down to $624. Pretty pleased with that :slight_smile:

PS its when you change devices and have to restore a backup that the Apple ecosystem (mostly) shines. New device now exact clone of the old one (which I’ve wiped and given to my partner to play with, but may eventually sell). Apart from the colour and the fact I can now fit my entire music library, I wouldn’t know the difference.

I still find the restore process a little frustrating. It takes a good few hours on my internet connection (although that’s not Apple’s fault) and often I end up with duplicate devices in SMS forwarding if I don’t sign out of all the iCloud things.

If for some reason my iCloud backups haven’t worked, forget it. I’m not doing an iCloud backup and restore on the same night.

It’d be cool if you could migrate to a new device over local wifi (like the Android → iOS migration process).

While it’s not wireless you can do a back up and restore to a new device using iTunes locally. I always put the new device in recovery mode and see if there’s any updates available for it first.

I’m not a big fan of iTunes restores either. They require having a copy of apps in iTunes (which I don’t) and I think the setup wizard after an iCloud restore (which I don’t remember getting after iTunes restores) is a good opportunity to review settings, setup new TouchID prints etc. iCloud restores just feel ‘cleaner’.

I finally cracked and bought an apple watch. Got the Nike+ silver/white one, but also got a midnight navy band to go with it which looks good.

It’ll be a few more months before my about turn on the airpod thingys too, now I have the watch I sort of see the point of them more.

First impressions of the watch are good. I’m not finding it as intuitive as other Apple stuff, but am working it out. Stupidly I installed all the watch apps for the gazillion apps I have on my phone, and the majority are a bit pointless/useless, but I’ve now cleaned it up and organised everything.

I don’t think it’ll ever become indispensable as I don’t intend to wear it all the time, but I’m very pleased with it. :slight_smile: