New purchases thread!

Where’d you pick these up from? Been looking at the original compass for years. and that EL Dock looks the goods

Our good friends at Try and Byte

1 Like

Just picked up a Raspberry Pi 3B+ to have a tinker with HomeAssistant.io and HomeBridge.

Be interested to see what else it can do, I’ve been living under a rock when it comes to RPi stuff, just need to dust off my Linux commands - hopefully, they’re still in my brain somewhere

2 Likes

You don’t really need HomeBridge with Home Assistant, HA has a built in Homekit bridge component now - https://www.home-assistant.io/components/homekit/
edit also one can pass HomeKit devices back the other way to Home Assistant with https://www.home-assistant.io/components/homekit_controller/

I’m currently only using devices which are both HomeKit and Amazon Echo compatible so have stopped using Home Assistant as I don’t need a kludge in the middle. It’s a pretty great bit of software though, with an excellent community behind it.

2 Likes

A7iii

3 Likes

New dashcam. Old model but suits me.

Also new Philips Dreamstation Auto CPAP (well, not new, “gently used”). And now I am broke.

2 Likes

Good choice - the A119 is a great little dash cam!

2 Likes

Apple Watch S4, Space Grey with black band and LTE.

It’s so nice and quick compared to my S0!

1 Like

Posted this elsewhere but got an amazing deal on a 256GB Iphone X from Officeworks, they price matched a very brief price of $1439 on Amazon so I got it for $1367. I was going to wait for the XR but very happy with it.

1 Like

The A119’s great little units, we have two with the GPS base and CPL filters… although I think I still haven’t installed the second filter.

Decided to invest in some tools. If there’s one thing I don’t mind spending a little extra on, it’s tools, because nothing ruins a project in progress more than needing a tool you don’t have.

Aside from the typical screwdrivers, ratchets, extenders and metric sockets, I also purchased a Makita GA4030 4" Grinder with grinding and cutting discs, and a Makita HP1630K 710W 16mm Hammer Drill.

While I’m seriously enjoying the Makita tools, the best purchase of the weekend was undoubtedly the Fluke 179 True RMS multimeter. My $15 Jaycar special “Fruke” knockoff has worked well but lacks some functions I’ve wanted for troubleshooting Logic Boards and more complex circuits, like a temperature probe, auto-ranging and accurately measuring circuits that operate on non-sinusoidal waves like square or sawtooth.

When it comes to electronics I have some serious learning to do still, but a decent multimeter always comes in handy.

The reason it was the best purchase is because these retail for around $630 new including GST. This one is in excellent condition, came with the accessories, and was only $99 used. I’ve since disassembled it for cleaning and have confirmed it is a genuine unit. Pretty damn chuffed about this one.

2 Likes

Nice. My local camera shop has a near new a7ii up for grabs at a good price. I’m seriously tempted. My Leica is starting to get long in the tooth and I can’t afford/won’t pay retail for a new M. What are you upgrading from?

1 Like

I bought a Bontrager Race X Lite stem, its 110mm, 7degrees, and 120grams. I bought it mostly because my old stem is too short and I’ve been getting really bad neck pain and tension headaches from cycling on my road bike. Hopefully the extra 10mm will fix that issue and move my shoulder blades further apart.

1 Like

Rediscovering having to getup and turn the record over to listen to the other side. Purchased a Pro-ject turntable.IMG_0701

1 Like

I shifted from Fujifilm. Was happy with the gear but not with Fujifilm Aus

If you can afford the the A7iii, it’s worth it

My wife just got a year’s contract at her work… earning 140% of my wage… so I just got an iPhone 8 with Optus, and - subject to stock - she’s going to get an 8 Plus … So I’m expecting ya’ll gonna hear a lot of Qs about much more recent iOS’s than previous from me in the very near future… :blush:

3 Likes

Just backed a Solidteknics pan on KickStarter!

OOPS!

Sold my iPhone X for $1200 on Thursday. Walked into the shop on Friday and walked out with the XS Max in silver/white. I’m in love!

3 Likes

How’re you finding it? These have just popped up on my radar, as I’m lookin to get a decent turntable setup going

Also, ended up getting a second hand Sony A7 for dirt cheap, loving it so far.

Keeping in mind that I’m old with bad hearing;

I have it plugged into a Sonos Connect so that I can stream to Sonos speakers around the house. The version of the turntable I have can also stream via Blu-tooth, but Haven’t tested it.
https://www.vinylrevival.com.au/collections/project-audio-turntables/products/project-vt-e-bt-bluetooth-turntable-vinyl-revival-exclusive I got it for about $300?

Whilst its not a high end turntable, I really liking the sound. I think I can note a difference when playing an LP vs the same album streamed from Apple Music.

There is something therapeutic about getting of the lounge to turn a record over, at least for now.

The drawback is Vinyl records are expensive now. Wish I’d kept mine from the 60s/70s :sob:

The A7 are great cameras. Unfortunately the white balance, for underwater use, has a magenta cast that is hard to remove in post.