Old tech still in use

So I saw a guy on the train on Friday pull out a Sony Walkman CD player and I realised I hadn’t seen one in forever. If it wasn’t for game consoles my kids wouldn’t even know what a CD/DVD looked like (let alone a VHS or cassette tape).

But I digress…What have you seen people using in the real world (or what do you use) that fits into the “old tech” category?

Does a client using a Mac Pro 1,1 as a server count? :wink:

1 Like

it is actually getting hard to see a decent range of games in store for the x360.

I have an eMac in for repairs at the moment, needs a hard drive, the client has some old video editing projects they want to complete and an older FireWire camera that wouldn’t connect to a newer machine. They’re still rather fond of it as well.

I work with a guy who still uses an iPod classic as his main music device. It’s a bit battered but still runs.

I’ve just recently bought myself a record player, does that count even if it’s a new model? I’ve been amassing a vinyl collection for the better part of the last decade so thought I should probably allow myself to listen to them, the only problem is that now I have an excuse to buy even more… Goodbye, money.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ can’t take it with you, may as well enjoy it.

Ah, the eMac - a very underrated Mac.

…that’s impossible to get rid of in these LCD days…

After I gave mine away on freecycle, I really regretted it.

I do see those from time to time on public transport (iPod Touches or nanos are still out there), usually in use by someone who is playing on their phone at the same time.

I’ve actually got a 120GB and 160GB models in our cars, although these days it’s all podcasts or music from the iPhones.

The oldest piece of technology I tend to use on a daily basis is my iPod mini second-generation upgraded to 256 GB which I believe I’ve replaced the battery twice.

I still have an Xserve G5 sitting on the bench, I’ve been meaning to investigate what is wrong with its power supply. I was using it as a file server for iTunes movies before it stopped working. I tried running Linux on it but if you feel like a leper running Linux its doubly an issue with a Mac unless you want to run a distribution such as Slackware or Gentoo and compile everything yourself.

My “new” MacPro 1,1 running El Capitan is my daily desktop in my home office, and the oldest in-use Mac is an original Bondi Blue G3 iMac I use to read the mini-CDRWs used by my Sony Mavica 300CD camera because Sony never released an OSX driver for the CDs.

The iMac will be getting less love and attention because a couple of months ago I upgraded from the 300CD to a Sony HX400V using those new fangled SDHC card thingies.

Can’t stand them personally. I was fond of them when I used them in high school but since I started servicing them, I’ve come to realise how poorly engineered they were inside.

The Harman-Kardon speakers on the Rev. A model were insane though. Sounded incredibly good for a base model machine.

Performing a data recovery for a client this evening from a defective 160GB Parallel-ATA drive. No enclosures and no FireWire cables, so I’ve resorted to dusting off my old Power Mac G5 Quad running Data Rescue 3 under Tiger 10.4. Works incredibly well, successfully recovered the entire contents of the drive with it.

2 Likes

:’( My middle formative years in computer obsession (Aged 7 to 14) were spent on first Dad’s 2003 eMac then, the 2005 eMac which was purchased after the intel Mac announcements at a deep discount. Those two machines soldiered on reliably until finally being semi retired in 2012. Both are still used by my siblings for PPC games and classic games.

Read this recent article and marvel.

1 Like

I felt like using a PPC mac tonight :stuck_out_tongue: So I’m posting from an iBook G4 :smiley:

2 Likes

5 Likes