One man's thoughts on Apple today

This item makes for very interesting reading and I have to say that I am 100% in agreement with him on this, form over function design is taking it’s toll and if Apple want to keep me, and a lot of other people, as customers they will need to change. I know that they will not but I can hope can’t I?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/breaking-up-with-apple-after-living-together-for-32_us_586152d4e4b014e7c72edd8b

The sooner some people break up with Apple the better.

4 Likes

Good like with that move to the surface. I did that and after a year I nearly threw it out the window out of frustration. Let him go through one windows upgrade and he’ll be back.

It’s not to say Apple doesn’t need a big kick in the pants though.

1 Like

I’m not 100% in agreement but the author does make some valid points, in particular that the new MacBook Pro isn’t really a ‘Pro’ machine in that ‘Pro’ machines traditionally are desktop replacement machines where as the new laptops are more ‘thin and light’ travel machines.

I feel about 80% of what was said.
Still use an older MBPro for editing with FCP X.
Have no desire to upgrade at this time.
Have not owned an iPhone since my 4s.
Android is such a nice product these days.
I would not have said that a few years ago.
Seems like Apple is sort of playing catch up in some cases.

Al

As an older Apple professional (been working in the industry for 19 of my 35 years on earth) I see Apple making the same mistakes over and over. Which is not to say I’m leaving any time soon, but rather that Apple’s always been making these mistakes.

They introduce a new product, it’s amazing, and then they let it languish before updating it. It’s been happening for ages. (I remember being SO excited by iCal and iSync when it launched, only to see it languish for 5 years).

When Apple is on its game with a product that is ‘hot’, they are awesome still. If your product is in a ‘languish phase’, it’ll still be better than the competition, but not ‘insanely great’ until the next revision.

AirPods? Amazing.
iPhone 7? Amazing (especially with AirPods).
New MacBook Pro & TouchBar? Amazing (after having for a week, I love it).
MacBook (12-inch)? Amazing (for those it is for).
iPad Pro? Amazing.
Apple Watch? Amazing.

Mac Pro? Languishing (but I believe will be updated and then amazing).
Mac mini? Languishing (but I believe will be updated and then amazing).
MacBook Air? EOL.