PC hardware question

I have a PC, which is occasionally used for gaming (not much else), and over the last few months has experienced (escalating issues). These include

• Not recognising drives
  • Not recognising RAM
  • No sound
  • No display
  • No internet

The PC was purchased (second hand) around 4 years ago. It has a M5A97 Evo main board, AMD Phenom CPU, 16 GB RAM and an EVGA GTX 770 graphics card (4GB)

I have rectified the first a number of times via unplugging/re-plug cables and restart (leaving only one plugged in). For the RAM, re-seating works.

The last three are recent. I have not found a solution to the sound issue (audio devices are recognised when plugged in, though no sound out or in) — the sound card is on the main board. I could try a USB sound card, though the other issues imply a deeper problem?

For no visible display, a restart (or multiple) routinely rectifies this. No Ethernet (as in no internet connection) was yesterday.

My question is, do I replace the main board (and I assume this will require a re-install of windows and start from scratch, given drivers?)? Or should I get someone to look at it?

As it is not used that often, it is not a high priority to $$$.

Any advice appreciated.

Sounds like a dodgy motherboard. Is it on the latest firmware?

Try changing the battery on the motherboard. Usually a cheap & readily available CR2032.
If it’s flat nothing is saved in the bios settings, so when you boot you have to start from scratch again.

First I would probably start with, checking on drivers installed an up-to-date correctly.

I’d also be checking this.

As well is that, you should be able to confirm if it’s the battery by checking in the UEFI/BIOS management interface at start-up.

No joy after all that

That would be my guess. As well.

I had a PC with weird random issues. Solved most of them by removing all the heat sinks and cleaning the old thermal paste off them, then reinstalling with new thermal paste.

My PC have the similar type of problem. My front sound port, USB port isn’t working from when i set it up. The age of my PC is 3 .5 years now. Any advice for me?

Make sure the cables are properly connected to the motherboard jumpers. There’s a cluster of about 9 +/- jumpers that control the front panel (pwr, reset, light, etc) and there will be an internal USB plug that needs to be connected to the motherboard. You’ll probably have 2 or 3 motherboard USB jumper areas. They should be labelled on the motherboard.

I have updated the bios and updated the audio driver (multiple times), amongst other things.

Still no audio. Going to take it to someone…