Plex - Accessing files on iPad when iMac is asleep

Hi,

So the question is; How do I wake the iMac via iPad?

The details:
I now have Telstra cable and have had the install located more central in our house so the wifi actually reaches each room. I have an external thunderbolt enclosure with our movies/tv shows on it connected to the iMac. The iMac used to be connected via ethernet to the modem, but this is no longer possible with the Telstra modem in another room. The plex server runs from the iMac. Previously via the iPad, I could play movies via the flex.tv link in the browser. This used to work whether the iMac was awake or not.

Now it seems that unless the iMac is awake, I cannot use flex.tv on the iPad. I’ve tried setting wake for network access on the iMac but not getting any joy. Logging into the Telstra modem shows that the iMac has dropped off the connection list and I haven’t worked out how I can remotely ping back to the iMac to wake it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on solutions please?

You could set Energy Saver so that you iMac never sleeps.

Do you have System Preferences > Energy Saver > Wake for network access checked?

I run Caffeine to prevent the Mac from ever sleeping.

I just set the computer to never sleep, but the screen to sleep…

Yes I have it set for wake on network access but it does not wake up. That’s what I’d like to do. I’d rather have it sleeping when not in use but wake when I’d like to watch something.
Be a partial insomniac at the moment, I might watch a movie at 2am.

Don’t let your iMac (or your 'Plex Server), switch off or go to sleep…‘FOREVER!!!’.
This will solve all your problems.

Apple changed the way ‘Wake for Network Access’ works when they implemented their new power management system (either with Yosemite or El Cap) and it no longer recognises Plex for network access.

I have gotten around this by using Caffeine (as suggested before), but it means your Mac is always awake. The other option I tried was using a VNC client. I use iTeleport. I wake my iMac with iTeleport and once the Mac is awake I can use Plex. It is a few extra steps. but it does the trick.

I was watching TV in bed just last night on my iPad, streaming from my sleeping iMac (running whatever the latest OS is). It definitely works without having to figure out clients or extra apps.