I originally started out using Boxee, years and years ago, but switched to Plex. I can’t say that I’ve ever really tried XBMC, but I’ve had such a good run with Plex that I doubt that I’d ever change.
I know my setup isn’t ideal in many ways, but it works.
- TV LG 42" 720P LCD that’s at least 7 years old
- 2009 Mac Mini 2GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM running Lion (because it is only 32bit (and yes I know it’s only utilising 3.5GB of the RAM))
- NASs for storage
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Timecapsule (for Wifi)
- Billion ADSL2+ router (alternate Wifi)
- 2011 15" MacBook Pro
- iPad 2
- iPhone 5
- ASUS 15" Laptop (fiancé’s)
- 7yo Desktop PC
- PMS and PHT both running on the Mac Mini
- PHT on MBP, ASUS and Desktop
- iOS Plex App
I know technically I could run PMS on one of my NAS, but I’d rather not force it to deal with the overhead. I know the Mini can sometimes struggle with some of the higher quality 1080 RIP’s I have in my collection, but considering my TV is only 720p, I’m not really too worried about it.
At some point I’ll upgrade the Mac Mini and the TV, but can’t afford to do that at the moment.