Problem With 2011 17" MacBook Pro

I am having a problem with my MacBook Pro. There were some weird graphics on the screen this afternoon, then it shut down on its own. When I rebooted it first showed the Apple logo, then went to a blank grey screen. It did this several times, then it booted up normally. I am typing this on the machine, but obviously there is a problem somewhere.
Does anyone know what might be going on? Thanks.

This sounds like a video system issue, which unfortunately wasn’t uncommon on the 2011 models. The graphics chip starts to degrade with repeated thermal cycling, causing an eventual failure that appears to the user as an intermittent shutdown, an inability to boot up, a black screen, loss of video or corruption (coloured blocks, lines or other patterns, video shifting left or right on the screen, or screen tearing).

Any Apple Store or Authorised Service Provider can run a diagnostic test on the machine to confirm the issue, which typically takes around 15 minutes maximum to complete. There shouldn’t be a charge to run the test but phone ahead to wherever you intend to take it to be sure.

If the graphics hardware has failed, then a replacement Logic Board would be required to correct the issue - however Apple discontinued the supply of parts earlier this year, so sourcing one is now becoming difficult. Even so the replacement boards Apple was supplying were only refurbished units, and the replacements often failed again after a few months.

I wouldn’t expect second hand replacements to be any better, and while some services on eBay and the like claim to offer a board repair service to “reball” or “reflow” the chip, I find this often isn’t a permanent repair either - because AMD doesn’t make new 2011 series Radeon chips, most of the replacements are just recycled parts scavenged from other boards.

The best bet would be to use the computer as long as it remains functional, but start considering the possibility that a new (or good condition used) computer may be needed in the near future.

I have had no further problems, I guess I will have to start saving for a new one.

Most likely the GPU.
I had the same problem with the same model. It has since been repaired/reflowed for $200.00 and has been working fine for the couple of months since.
Do your fans run flat out, more often than you’d expect?
Mine were, but I didn’t address that until it was too late.
That is, I replaced the thermal paste after the graphics problem appeared. The original paste had hardened and shrunk and cracked like a claypan.
I’m pretty sure I could have avoided the failure with a timely servicing.
I felt it was well worth the 200 bucks.

Where did you get the repair done? I am in Sydney near Chatswood.

Broadway Computers. They’re in Melbourne (Reservoir) unfortunately.
Look them up and give them a call. They may have something up your way.
Good hunting.