Recommendations for wifi NAS/back-up options?

I am looking for wireless back-up options.

I have noted the WD My Cloud, though would prefer a multiple bay/drive system.

This will be used for time machine back-ups, possible shopper duper/ccc if I can configure it as well. I don’t need and of the bells and whistles that sometimes come with units like the WD, and prefer something I can add drives to and have a longer life.

I am after wireless as it will be located somewhere that cannot be physically connected to the network, though within wifi range (initial back-ups and configuration will be undertaken with physical connection before relocating the unit).

Any recommendations??

I think theres a WD Mycloud with 2 and 4 bays but I’m not sure about the wifi aspects. Expensive, though, IIRC.

Have a look here

Airport extreme and USB3 drive?

I didn’t think that was officially supported?

Synology NAS’s support USB wifi dongles. Haven’t tried it myself, but there is a compatibility list on their website somewhere.

You can connect USB external hard drives to airport extremes and share them wirelessly.

Unless you mean something else?

Sorry, I meant Time Machine specifically. The USB External drive is supported, but I didn’t think you could use it as a Time Machine drive.

I think there has been significant debate about airport extreme attached drives with time machine for some time. It may be the route I need to go (I find wifi dongles to be pretty poor at the best of times), or build a low power PC.

Am regretting a little selling off my HP micro server… Would still prefer a wifi NAS (am pretty sure running a cable is just not possible)

Instead of Time Capsule, consider using Crashplan which is free for local backups which includes encryption, versioning, live backups, restoring Etc. and if you pay a small monthly fee you also backup to the cloud. Been using it for years instead of time machine.

Thanks Erwin. I have started to look into Crashplan or Backblaze for online backup.

So Crashplan can back up to a local drive (can Backblaze do similar?)? I assume you would use the respective app?

Yes. The free version backs up to a local drive or even to a remote drive that is yours via the web. You only need to pay if you want to back up to their cloud service. I don’t know about backblaze. Yes you use the Mac app. There is also an iOS app for you to see your files.

Coming in late … anyway there are now some Synolgogy devices with built-in Wi-Fi.
I do prefer them over Qnap for the system interface.