Removing the 3.5mm headphone socket

They will replace them for a high fee, that includes the wasteful replacement of the top case.

The Macbook Air battery is not glued in and it achieves the best battery life of the whole Macbook Range.

Who the F*** cares about “extra features” on headphones? It’s just another thing that can break due to normal wear and tear.

Nah they can remove it for all I care.

In addition, those who want the ‘extra features’ can already utilise the lighting port on their device right now without removing the 3.5mm headphone port… I’m not even aware of these extra features, maybe noise cancelation, but that can already be achieved…

If you want less siblance and more noise cancellation buy better headphones :laughing: No real such thing as active noise cancellation if you want noise cancellation buy IEMs or closed backs.

We go back to the bad old days where my Macintosh 6100/66 was the size of a pizza box but required an external breakout box for a larger SCSI hard drive, an internal riser card to use the NuBus slot for a decent video card with a few megs of VRAM and an AAUI to Ethernet adapter to be able to connect to the internet. Oh yeah, the RAM was soldered to the motherboard also.

That was fun… :joy: In the end I hacked the firmware and ran Linux on it. That or OS 9 on 136mb of RAM and a 66mhz processor. Hmm… grandfathered system limitation nonsense reminds me of the current Macs and Mac Books. But in credit to that machine, that was in the good days when you could go up 3 whole system software versions from System 7 to OS 9.

Try that today and see what happens.

I think that’s the keyword here for geeks like us - it’s frustrating, but it’s also fun, to muck around with not just the software, but also the hardware. I find it less fun as I get older (for example, I don’t jailbreak my iPhone) but I still manage to get some nostalgia upgrading things in my Mac Mini or external drives…

Haha, OK.

chuckles.

Steve Wozniak has waded into the debate surrounding the 3.5mm headphone port and I have to say what he’s saying lines up pretty much with what I’m thinking.

http://www.afr.com/technology/mobiles-and-tablets/apple/steve-wozniak-says-apple-must-fix-iphone-7-bluetooth-or-revive-its-headphone-jack-20160821-gqxwsg

1 Like

Time to start suckling on the teat of BIG BLUETOOTH

2 Likes

Not such a big deal, but one has to wonder about the audio quality… I’ll leave others to guinea pig it.

https://griffintechnology.com/us/products/audio/itrip-clip-bluetooth-headphone-adapter

iPhone 7 to be bundled with wireless Airpods as a paid upgrade?

Just looking at those Airpods, I’ve already misplaced them and anyway, who wants to look like they’ve got doorknobs in their ears?

1 Like

I have to agree, they are far from the most attractive bluetooth earphones I’ve seen. I also don’t like the lack of a linking cable between the earpods.

Something like the Jabra ones below is more what I’d be looking for. They’ve got a stated 17 hour lifetime (close to the minimum needed and way more than the poor battery life of most bluetooth earphones, they’re equally usable for phone and music and they’ve not that small that they can be easily misplaced).

Or for those who want something just a little more err upmarket there is always these :slight_smile:

https://www.net-a-porter.com/au/en/product/681816?cm_mmc=GoogleProductSearchPLA--AU--Accessories-_-Technology&gclid=CLz96rGs9M4CFQsAvAodDW4HKg

28 posts were split to a new topic: Apple’s arrogance of non-upgradeable Macs

The recent posts I saw seemed to indicate they would offer a linked and non linked version of the wireless headphones but it’s all speculation at this point.

There are also some indications they could even offer multiple versions to cater for both the wired and wireless markets so we could see everyone happy.

Guess I was wrong about Beats not adopting all of the wireless things.

Well, they removed it. I’m looking forward to answering the inevitable customer questions today.

But “Courage”? It’s reached the point where I have to switch off every time Phil Schiller opens his mouth to speak.

1 Like

I guess some of the questions were answered:

1. Apple give the adapter free
  2. Apple has wired and wireless. Wired in the box, wireless as an option

Not convinced about Apple’s wireless design aesthetics. At least beats are an option although i’ll probably go Bose to replace my QC20i when I eventually replace them.