Review: Star Trek Discovery

Just heard the term “it’s so fucking cool” mentioned the most recent episode.

It’s so… un-Star Trek like.

I havent watched the most recent. I forgot. I guess I havent been as impressed with it as I had hoped. I can’t see this lasting as long as some of the others.

Every report and preview I had read/seen about it touted it as being part of the original timeline, not the JJverse.

In fact I agree that it would totally work as a reboot in a new timeline. That’s what Abrams should have done from the start, have a brand new set of characters. rather than have a TOS movie that wasn’t.

Yeah. First we had a “shit” in the episode, then a couple of “fucking”. I don’t mind… but again, it through me out of the moment for a while.

i finally had a chance to watch the first episode of “The Orville” and i have to say I enjoyed that much more than I’m enjoying Discovery, even though it’s a blatant ripoff.

EDIT I just read an interesting spoilery theory about something in Discovery, and it makes perfect sense. Be interesting to see if it plays out.

OT but I’d just like to say the latest episode of The Orville is genius (the one with the social media storyline).

Have to agree, it was much more social commentary than it was a “traditional” sci-fi/spoof.

Although it did feel like a rip-off of that Black Mirror episode.

Loved the latest Discovery ep which also had some hilarious moments, however it was a very strong ripoff of a TNG ep. it’s the first ep I would watch again, and probably the most Star Trekky ep so far. Probably because it’s pretty much self contained.

Yep I was a little worried with how it started, playing beer pong in the rec room party, but I did enjoy how it played out and used a lot of familiar Trek tropes.