Router suggestions (NBN FTTN)

I am looking for options to replace my Fritz Box 7390 (iiNet NBN FTTN)

We are expereincing drop outs, and the modem might be the source (looking to test this first).

I coudl go with a Fritz Box 7490 (the upgrade to the 7390). Alos looking for suggestions.

Current setup:

• 7390 has: aTV4 and an Airport Extreme pluged into the 7390 (third piece of harward likely to be connected).
  • Aiport Extreme (in another room) has: NAS a PC and Mac Mini connected via ethernet.
  • Airport Express used as a WifI extender (for the Extreme)

So you’re only using the modem side of it, Airport takes care of the routing and wifi?

May as well just get the Technicolor TG1 and bridge it. It’s maybe $80-90 from iiNet/Internode.

1 Like

In recent times I’ve had enough of the consumer great equipment so I have been looking to switch to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X.

Probably best to use whatever iiNet support to be honest. NBN won’t help you with support tickets (for things like drop outs etc) unless the ISP/RSP has registered the modem with NBN. Sadly, nbn don’t publish a list, even under FOI, so you just have to use what the RSP sells. Just put it in bridge mode and use whatever router you like…

For FTTN, get a cabler to cut all your phone sockets and run a new wire direct from the lead in to where you want the modem. VDSL2 is a nightmare and there will be heaps of issues with the old copper network.

I picked up an iiNet TG-1

As I have a couple devices connected to the TG-1 (i.e. aTV, Airport Extreme, etc) and the Airport Extreme (NAS, Mac, PC all in another room) — alongside wifi on the TG-1 turned off with the Airport Extreme providing wifi and an Airport Express as a wireless extender — is there anything I need to take in to account to make sure it all just works?