Sierra teething problems - Mail p'word

G’day,

I’ve just upgraded from Mavericks to Sierra (after going Mavericks to High Sierra late last year and returning to Mavericks due to incompatibility with FCP7).

Everything seems to be working fairly well, except for Mail. All of my (working) settings have carried over from Mavericks, and yet my email accounts (“ncable”, aka iiNet) are offline, with the following error:

Trying to log in to this POP account failed. Verify that the username and password are correct.

I have tried changing the password in case it didn’t copy over correctly, but no good. Tried adjusting the port setting… but no go.

Is there some setting I’m missing, or a known issue with Sierra & Mail?

Cheers

cosmic

FWIW I upgraded to Sierra from El Cap, (I’m now on HS) but I never had any mail problems with that. Can’t imagine what it is. Have you deleted the account and started over? Thats my first port of call if something happens with a mail account.

I think that it’s a POP account, once messages are downloaded they are removed from the server. So reinstall is out. Is POP mail still a thing ??
Did you do a permissions repair ?

This link may help if you decide to change you account to IMAP

https://www.macworld.com/article/1165600/how-to-convert-a-pop-email-account-to-imap.html

Still POP… old school… I know - should revise.

Definitely!! I hung on to POP far longer than I should but IMAP is the go!

I just tried to set up an IMAP inbox, and it still doesn’t accept the correct user/pword…

Will look at deleting prefs or something…

Just be careful removing accounts if they are POP - as Mail will delete the local copies, which are the only copies…

Probably a good idea to export your folders before doing too much futzing about.
Plenty of advice here on how to do that macos - How to export all emails from a mailbox in Apple Mail - Ask Different

:slight_smile: Thanks.

I’ve copied them over for my email… should do the wife’s too, in case I forget and wipe hers… then she’d never be able to review all Catch of the Day and Etsy offers.

Legacy problems. The data that came over from Mavericks was all “ncable”… but should have been “iinet”. Dope.